NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok had a leak on the coolant flange a few days ago. Got that fixed with a brand new one. Now today noticed a small leak under car. Drive to town and on way back all hell broke loose. Noticed steam so I stopped in checked couldn't find leak added some water to get it the couple more miles home and noticed it pouring out from the passenger side of engine, yay water pump. Right before this the epc light cameon and now car won't even start it just cranks slowly like its a dead battery. I hooked up a jumper box and still nothing. I'm getting really tired of VW

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
issues

Year of your car? How many miles on your car? Three possible problems or a combination of two or all three happened here. Your water pump finally went bad and your overheating causing coolant hoses to rupture, could have ruined the motor's upper head. Your radiator fan is bad or both fans did not come on because of the fuses melting on top of the battery fuse box or the fan control module is bad and melted the fuse box which cause you to overheat also. Your ECS sensors failed and the fans did not come on so your car overheated or a combination of both or all three. Thermostat could have failed also but that would be my last choice. I feel for ya dude and good luck.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I agree with esse10. When the pump fails, pressure builds up in the system and as you said "hell broke loose". Water pump, timing belt, tensioner, stretch bolts (for the engine mount), coolant, and etc. can be bought as a complete "kit" for less than $200 from various places on the Internet. It took my dad and myself all day to do this job ourselves. The two "special" tools required were his engine hoist and a timing belt tensioner tool I also bought on the Internet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's an 02. Took the mounts off and covers to take a look at the job. Poured water in to see for sure and it pours right back out up behind the timing belt tensioner pulley? No signs of headgasket failure otherwise. Oil is fine and no smoke form exhaust?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
man oh man

Sorry to hear that sounds like you got major damage there. Well if you do the timing belt/water pump here is how I lifted my motor up. You only lift the motor up and down a few times and for a few minutes so I saw no need to rent a hoist. Folks do it different but this worked good for me.
Just make sure you put a big chunk of wood next to this setup as a backup contingency plan just in case it falls LOL :D. Well if the timing belt didn't break you might still be okay and no head/valves damage but you could still have a blown head gasket problem because it overheated pretty bad and will leak coolant into your piston cylinder, hope not. good luck man.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
freeze plug

Is there a freeze plug located Round that tensioner pulley on these cars?
Not sure about that I would have to go look at some of the pictures I took when I did my TB/WP job two years ago. You might want to google that and see what you find.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I have been googling it and that's where confusion comes in. I read stuff that they say no there's not and then some from others like even a vw mechanic that yes there is one behind there. And when we do pour the water thru it looks more like it's coming thru a straw than spraying out from the seam between the block and head.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
pix

To help us help you perhaps maybe take a picture of this area or place where the coolant is leaking out of and post it here. Hope somebody with knowledge about this engines can shime in and help ya. without me actually being there to see first hand it's hard for me to give an accurate guess where it's leaking.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, status update. Freeze plug was there behind pulley replaced that. Water pump was toast replaced that. Coolant temp sensor replaced. Car still won't start tried to do compression test as good as can be without car up to temp. Ranged from 125 down to 30. Is blown headgasket enough to keep car from starting.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Sounds like you should pull the head since something is very wrong.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
First of all, I'd read the codes to check what those indicate.

Your compression should be enough to start the engine.

You could also have internal damage in the engine. I had a similar thing happen to me a few years ago. I installed a new thermostat. It was defective and never opened. The first time I ran the car (not the NB, thank goodness) it overheated on the highway. I stopped and let it cool off. When I went to restart it, coolant had entered one of the cylinders by way of the head gasket (which previously had been good) and it cracked the cylinder head. It ran after that but made valvetrain noises and had blown headgasket symptoms.

So you could have damage to the cylinder head or one of the pistons.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hopefully the freeze plug popping out when it did prevented the water getting in. The codes it had were the temp sensor ac couple of the misfire ones 0301 0304 and an o2 voltage supply which im guessing happened when all the water was pouring down on top of it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well just decided rather keep throwing parts at this thing and it's knocking noises I'm just going to get another engine. I had a 2001 1.8T before this one and miss it. How hard is it to throw the 1.8 in this car. Have the azg with auto tranny

1 - 17 of 17 Posts