NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The wife's 2002 beetle 2.0 had a bad coolant leak under the timing belt cover. I assumed it was the water pump so i replaced it but it still pours coolant. Even with the motor off, if i ad coolant to the tank, it pours out while i pour it in from behind the cam pulley..WITH THE MOTOR SHUT OFF!!! Any ideas? Is there a freeze plug behind that pulley ?

·
Registered
14,068 Posts
This company shows aftermarket brass freeze plug kit for the 2.0L; i would assume it is the smaller size plugs?

36.5 mm and 14 mm shown.

We had some members, have a hard time, finding the right size freeze plug and ended up, having to order the right one, from their local vw dealer.

·
Registered
14,068 Posts
Yeah, there may have been various sizes; used for the various engine blocks, codes as the 2.0L was made for a ling time. Comparing sizes to a drill bit ir drill bit index; converting the size to metric, may get you in the ball park.

Your vw dealers parts dept.; will lookup, order parts by vin # and get you the right parts you need. If in the warehouse, most parts are delivered next day; if you order in the morning, before the days parts order cut off time (my dealer cut off is before lunch/mid day; central standard time). Call and confirm with yours.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts