VW Beetle Forum banner

Coolant leak, timing belt etc...

963 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  djkoop456 
#1 ·
Hey all. I'm new around here.. My wife thought that our 16 y/o daughter needed a cute car to drive around. Despite several friends warning her about the difficulty of repairs on the beetle, they bought a 2004 beetle convertible without my input. All was well over the summer until this last month. My daughter said that the temp light was turning on. I topped off the fluid. Light went away. A few days later, it came back. Fluid was low again. Ok, we have a leak. Looking at the undercarriage, I thought it looked like the fluid was coming from the water pump side of the engine. Since the car has just over 100k, I figured I might as well just replace the timing belt, water pump, etc. I ordered the gates kit from rockauto. On Sunday I set to get the job done. Once I tore into it, it looks like this job was already done at some point. At least the timing belt and pump were replaced. The belt is a NAPA belt and the pump has a metal impeller. I decided however to just continue and replace. Better safe than sorry. I also noticed that it looks like the coolant is not coming from the pump, but another location in the motor. What's next on the list?

This job so far has been a real pain in the ass. Not a lot of room and some real hard bolts to get to. I am to the point where I need to install the new timing belt tensioner. My daughter who was helping me handed me the bolts for it and we were trying to figure out how to wiggle it down in there around the loose motor mount. At some point, I set those two 10mm bolts down while I was trying to figure this out, and I have misplaced them. I looked through everything I could find and can't come up with them. They are nowhere to be found. I have everything else organized and marked, but these, in trying to figure out how we were going to get them back in, I lost them. I've been looking online trying to find some online, and they aren't listed in any parts catalogs. Does anyone know where I can get these small bolts to attach the tensioner to the block?

Also, I've seen mention that some of the motor mount bolts are one time use. Which ones exactly? Are they the ones that attach to the body, the block, or both? When I look at parts diagrams, these are not mentioned either...

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey all. I'm new around here.. My wife thought that our 16 y/o daughter needed a cute car to drive around. Despite several friends warning her about the difficulty of repairs on the beetle, they bought a 2004 beetle convertible without my input. All was well over the summer until this last month. My daughter said that the temp light was turning on. I topped off the fluid. Light went away. A few days later, it came back. Fluid was low again. Ok, we have a leak. Looking at the undercarriage, I thought it looked like the fluid was coming from the water pump side of the engine. Since the car has just over 100k, I figured I might as well just replace the timing belt, water pump, etc. I ordered the gates kit from rockauto. On Sunday I set to get the job done. Once I tore into it, it looks like this job was already done at some point. At least the timing belt and pump were replaced. The belt is a NAPA belt and the pump has a metal impeller. I decided however to just continue and replace. Better safe than sorry. I also noticed that it looks like the coolant is not coming from the pump, but another location in the motor. What's next on the list?

This job so far has been a real pain in the ass. Not a lot of room and some real hard bolts to get to. I am to the point where I need to install the new timing belt tensioner. My daughter who was helping me handed me the bolts for it and we were trying to figure out how to wiggle it down in there around the loose motor mount. At some point, I set those two 10mm bolts down while I was trying to figure this out, and I have misplaced them. I looked through everything I could find and can't come up with them. They are nowhere to be found. I have everything else organized and marked, but these, in trying to figure out how we were going to get them back in, I lost them. I've been looking online trying to find some online, and they aren't listed in any parts catalogs. Does anyone know where I can get these small bolts to attach the tensioner to the block?

Also, I've seen mention that some of the motor mount bolts are one time use. Which ones exactly? Are they the ones that attach to the body, the block, or both? When I look at parts diagrams, these are not mentioned either...
BoltDepot.com -If it is in fact a 1.8T the turbo coolant supply and return lines as well as the after run auxiliary cooling to turbo line. That would be where I started. Then on to the thermostat and housing . Then upgrade/replace coolant flanges . 2003 1.8t new beetle with big turbo and manifold/ tune/ exhaust/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I am now on to the new head gasket/valve cover gasket, water pump t-belt and new forged internals,oil injectors/rifle drilled-conrods/pistons/rings/wrist pins/carrier bearings/main bearings/valves/springs/retainers/ ARP L19 head studs and hardware

#4 ·
Sorry for blowing up your topic thread but the auxiliary after run cooling pump(if equipped) line to turbo runs around the T-belt side to a hard line attached to back of block beneath the exhaust manifold. The coolant return line to the block is also located here behind the boost piping and support brackets 8mm Hex/Allen key to remove, check the lines, replace if needed also replace the copper crush washers.(To remove the coolant return from turbo) you will need to drop the passengers side CV axle from the inner trans differential as well as lower turbo support bracket, turbo and axle heat shield and turbo inlet pipe. If the engine is left IN THE CAR, much easier if motor is pulled from chassis. Will save time and makes checking clearances, and torque specs much easier, the 99-05 New Beetle is basically a Jetta/Golf Mark IV in a girly dress. Pulling the engine only takes 1-1/2 to 3 hours. Gives much easier access to all components and fasteners as stated before ,for torque and clearance. I have done all of this with engine/motor in the car(NO FUN). I highly recommend pulling engine+any parts you change = less time and less headache compared to doing it in the car

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.