NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I was looking for some help / advice with a coolant leak on my wife's '02 Beetle with a 2.0 and automatic. It's had a slow leak for a few months now. I took off the plastic engine cover to look for it, and it was pretty obvious. It's coming from the joint where a metal tube attaches to the driver's side of the thermostat housing. (Picture enclosed).

Questions:

What do you call this tube?

How do you remove it and replace its seal?

The Hayne's manual doesn't mention this at all, though you can see it in their picture of the thermostat housing (lousy scan enclosed).

Thanks!

-Mike Beda

Attachments

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
Off the top of my head ... you are probably going to have to remove some or all of the parts required to do the following maintenance ...

1) Thermostat
2) Coolant Flange (driver side of cylinder head)
3) SAP (Secondary Air Pump if your NB has one)
4) Coil (if it is a 2.0L)
5) Oil Cooler Hoses

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice.

I replaced the O ring over the weekend. I had to remove the secondary air pump, the coil and its bracket, the two temp sensors mounted to the engine right above the coolant tube, and just one of the coolant hoses; the one nearest to the right side of the coolant tube. The tube itself is held in place with one stud which attached to the coil bracket and one nut attaching to a stud on the left hand top of the engine. Removing those and the parts listed above gave me enough wiggle room to pull the tube out and replace the O-ring.

I broke the dipstick tube :( When I broke it the first time I thought I was just clumsy. When I broke the remaining stubs twice more I realized it had the strength of an eggshell. From other reading I guess that is a common problem with these, so I will be getting a new one of those.

I also found that refilling these buggers is a real female dog. I filled the reservoir multiple times, only to find that when I ran the car 1) there was no heat from the heater (leading to panicky thoughts that I had damaged the thermostat or water pump) 2) after I left the car off for a while it sucked down the full-to-overflowing reservoir to completely empty. After doing this a few times I noticed a flushing tee of some sort coming off the upper radiator hose near the left side of the engine. On a hunch I opened that. Coolant all over the place, but when I filled the reservoir the next time it stayed filled, the heater worked, and no problems since. All in all the job was pretty difficult, and way harder than it would have been on an ordinary car. But it's done. Thanks again for the info.

-mB

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone. New here and glad I found this forum and especially this thread. My girlfriend's '02 beetle 2.0 has a leak in the exact same spot. So does anyone know the part # for this seal?

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts