VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for help with a coolant leak. (BTW...I recharged my AC the other day, and now my car is leaking coolant. I don't know if this is just a coincidence or what.) While the coolant is dripping from the very front passenger side of the car, it looks like the actual leak is behind the coolant reservoir. It usually starts after I've been driving on the highway for about 30-40 minutes. The car did overheat last night, so I added more coolant. However, I didn't notice the leak until this morning. I can't find any diagrams of the reservoir to see what is going on behind there. Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
100 Posts

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
Coolant leaks can be tough to find (the area you are talking about, plus the overheating; makes me think of the water pump failure being a possibility); a pressure test is the best way to find them, have someone do it for you or get a pressure kit from harbor freight, it will work on our vw's. Another possibility; is at night take a flashlight and look then, it can make things easier to see but a pressure test usually makes is very apparent... with the coolant leaking out right where the problem is. At a shop they can put it on a lift and that helps to see where the leak is as well; at home you can jack it up and put it on jack stands... then look.

When was the last time the water pump was replaced; is it the plastic one or a metal impeller? You can inspect the pump impeller; by removing the thermostat and putting your finger in there to see if it is ok and isn't broken or spinning on the shaft.

Here is the pressure tester from harbor freight; the cost will probably be cheaper then a typical visit to a shop and you will have it for future work.

Radiator & Cooling System Pressure Tester Kit

·
5/23/10 <3
11,236 Posts
If its coming from near the reservoir, it could be the reservoir itself leaking. I had mine crack in my GTI last year not long after I got the car. New reservoirs are cheap, luckily.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts