VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Recently my 2002 NB has sprung a small leak in the cooling system. I found where, a place where a few hoses come together. From what I can see the end of one of the hoses is the culprit. How do I know if a hose has coolant in it when the engine cold and not running? I can replace it myself but I need to know if I need to be prepared for spilled coolant.

Thanks,

Patrick

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Is it leaking from the plastic coolant flange on the driver side end of the cylinder head? This is a common place for a leak as the plastic deteriorates. There is an o-ring between it and the cylinder head as well.

Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0 Engine Cooling Coolant Flanges - ECS Tuning

You will need to drain just some of the coolant, about a quart or so, to get the level below cylinder head. Here is a DIY. See step 6 for the removing the flange.

http://newbeetle.org/forums/1-8-liter-turbo/35490-bad-timing-belt-need-head-rework.html#post551687

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
radiator

Hello all,

Recently my 2002 NB has sprung a small leak in the cooling system. I found where, a place where a few hoses come together. From what I can see the end of one of the hoses is the culprit. How do I know if a hose has coolant in it when the engine cold and not running? I can replace it myself but I need to know if I need to be prepared for spilled coolant.

Thanks,

Patrick
drain some coolant from the bottom of the radiator first then go to town replacing that bad hose. The drain plug is on the driver side just twist 3/4 turn.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With the age and mileage of my NB I should change both the coolant flange and some of the hoses. The system was flushed less than two years ago so it shouldn't need it yet.

Where is a good source of the correct coolant?

Thanks,

Patrick

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
coolant

I usually pick up a gallon of pure coolant at the Dealer and then dilute it myself with distilled water, always keep some in my garage for when I do repairs and need to top off the system.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,414 Posts
You can find Pentosin brand coolant at Oreilly and Napa I believe. Its G12, so its the right stuff.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
With the age and mileage of my NB I should change both the coolant flange and some of the hoses. The system was flushed less than two years ago so it shouldn't need it yet.
It is definitely time to replace the hoses. My cooling system maintenance schedule goes as follows:

Coolant drain and refill - 4 years
Large diameter hoses (radiator) - 8 years
Small diameter hoses (heater, ect.) - 12 years

Things unique to the 2.0:

Oil cooler to block o-ring - 8 years
Coolant flange and o-ring - 8 years

The newer G12++ coolant seems to be replacing the old G12 type and is compatible for mixing.

The 2.0 has something like 10 small diameter cooling hoses. Given the age of your NB I would replace all of them as well. Some can be hard to track down. I bought some from a Gates dealer and some online.

The coolant flange gets old and starts to crumble, plus the o-ring really needs to be replaced as well. I replaced mine preventatively.

Leakage at the oil cooler to block o-ring is probably responsible for the 2.0s reputation for excess oil use in my opinion. Even 8 years my be pushing it here. It is easiest to replace when the coolant is drained. I am considering replacing the entire oil cooler preventatively after reading about other peoples stories here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts