NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 NB 2.0 has 164k miles give or take. I have a leak but nothing is showing up anywhere that I can find. I can drive it for about 30min and Im out of coolant. Im not out of coolant when I drive. If I turn off the car you can hear from the tank, it sounds like my baby is chugging the coolant. I look and cant find a leak anywhere. I open the tank and the coolant is bone dry. I have no idea where its going. The oil does not have water, the plugs look fine. Right now im :confused:

The wife drove it around town today stay close to the house. Had to fill it up 3 times. Also while drive and once when shifting to get it home. The car made what she calls a grinding sound. The max speed was about 30 to 40mph

Any help would be great. I hope to have more info. when I get home.

Will

·
Registered
708 Posts
I just had the same problem. What I found was the water hose that goes to the throttle body was pouring out when I drove the car, but wouldn't leak when idling. The spring clamp didn't have enough tension, so I replaced it with a worm gear clamp.

·
Super smart senior member
857 Posts
2000 NB 2.0 has 164k miles give or take. I have a leak but nothing is showing up anywhere that I can find. I can drive it for about 30min and Im out of coolant. Im not out of coolant when I drive. If I turn off the car you can hear from the tank, it sounds like my baby is chugging the coolant. I look and cant find a leak anywhere. I open the tank and the coolant is bone dry. I have no idea where its going. The oil does not have water, the plugs look fine. Right now im :confused:

The wife drove it around town today stay close to the house. Had to fill it up 3 times. Also while drive and once when shifting to get it home. The car made what she calls a grinding sound. The max speed was about 30 to 40mph

Any help would be great. I hope to have more info. when I get home.

Will
Dollars to doughnuts its your coolant heart valve, its a valve on the drivers side of the engine that is made of a plastic that becomes brittle over time (yayyy vw) It is the most common leak point. Its a $20 part and about a 20 minute fix! You can search around and find a how to. But in the interest of time here's one for free! http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1835592

Just be sure not to mix coolant! Buy g12 and use it per instructions!

·
Super smart senior member
857 Posts
I just had the same problem. What I found was the water hose that goes to the throttle body was pouring out when I drove the car, but wouldn't leak when idling. The spring clamp didn't have enough tension, so I replaced it with a worm gear clamp.
I cant for the life of me remember any water hose that goes to the throttle body and ive taken mine off many many times. Am I crazied?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK well here is an update. The one thing that I did changed out was the thermostat and gasket. Wow it was in bad shape. Filled it up with water only to check for leaks before I waste the G12 if this didnt fix it. Happy I just put water in. Now that I have a working thermostat, It leaks realy bad at the thermostat housing. It looks like the housing is warped,where it bolts on. Got to love plastic parts. Next thing I will check is the coolant heart valve.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK now that the thermostat housing is new, I have no leaks there. I have a nice one at the tank, but only when I turn off my car, also only after its been runing. If its cold and sits there the water stays in. Also something new.

The coolant heart valve is in good shape as well. From what I can see.

There is steam coming from the air filter. I have K&N Cone filter. Any idea on that??

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok I have almost all leaks fixed. NOW....:mad: Looks to run good untill I turn it off. Once the car is off, the tank fills up and leaks out the side pipe. The one for over flow. Im not sure whats going on.

Any ideas??

·
Jitterbug
1,086 Posts
OK now that the thermostat housing is new, I have no leaks there. I have a nice one at the tank, but only when I turn off my car, also only after its been runing. If its cold and sits there the water stays in.
Check the radiator fans run (they should both run when the a/c is on). Shoving some water out of the coolant tank after driving is common when the rad don't get airflow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check the radiator fans run (they should both run when the a/c is on). Shoving some water out of the coolant tank after driving is common when the rad don't get airflow.
Yes they are running, its not some water its alot. I was also told it coul dbe b/c there is air in the system as well. I will try that today. also told it your be the cap to the tank as well, that has never been replaced.

Have I said yet that I love this car. LOL

·
Jitterbug
1,086 Posts
Yes they are running, its not some water its alot. I was also told it coul dbe b/c there is air in the system as well. I will try that today. also told it your be the cap to the tank as well, that has never been replaced.

Have I said yet that I love this car. LOL
Static level should be approx half-way up the round coolant tank, any more and expansion will push out the excess.

If you don't top up above that level does she still keep pushing it out?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok its not pushing it out now, after flushing it out and get all the air out of the system. Now all it does is bubble in the tank but no leaks. Also A/C works great then not cold anymore so I know its starting to over heat.

This is drive me crazy. The one thing I never added was every few min. there is a clicking sound (just 1 click). Im not sure where that is coming from.

:confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts