VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s a daily driver and the temperature blue light flashes, not just from when I crank it up it’s the whole the whole drive, I have put 2 new thermostats in it since the problem (the second one because the blue light kept flashing) it started in the summer when it overheated but the thermostats were replaced instantly just can’t figure out why the light still flashes?

·
Registered
16,162 Posts
Blue coolant light = engine cold
Flashing blue coolant light = fault in the coolant monitoring system
Flashing red coolant light = low on coolant
Steady red coolant light = engine overheating, pull over and stop engine IMMEDIATELY and do not run until the problem has been identified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,162 Posts
I have had a similar problem with the blue light flashing; in my case it ended up being a terminal wire broke off the plug at the coolant temp sensor, the one that is in the coolant flange that comes off the head. I went ahead and repaired the wire with a repair wire with a pre-crimped terminal on it; also, replaced the plug and installed a new coolant temp sensor; the problem went away and stayed away. You might try scanning for trouble codes; I ended up having a trouble code for the coolant temp sensor being short to ground. I went ahead, getting all of the parts for my Volkswagen dealer; the repair is not hard and easy to do ! I would check the wiring to the temp sensor, for damage, the plug and for trouble codes, go from there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Blue coolant light = engine cold
Flashing blue coolant light = fault in the coolant monitoring system
Flashing red coolant light = low on coolant
Steady red coolant light = engine overheating, pull over and stop engine IMMEDIATELY and do not run until the problem has been identified.

Thank you for this! I keep starting my car and getting a blue coolant light that only stays on for a few minutes then goes away. I've had a Passat and a Jetta but this is my first beetle so had no idea of diff color warning lights. I have checked my coolant 50 times thinking something was wrong 😂🤦🏻‍♀️. Now I know it's just cold from weather, thanks 👍🏼

1 - 6 of 6 Posts