NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have read a thread about the coolant light. After the first time, I drove yesterday for first time, the light was on for it's normal amount.

But hours later, when I drove to work, the coolant light was on for a lot less time then normal. So I don't know whether to take it as a good thing or a bad thing.

For a 2002 New Beetle, how will I know when the car needs more coolant? Will the coolant light blink? Or just stay on?

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
As long as it's blue your good to go. The warmer the engine the less time the blue light is on.
Now if the red light is showing you have a problem.
Flashing red it's just low on coolant.
Solid red with a beep...means overheating,and turn off the car.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As long as it's blue your good to go. The warmer the engine the less time the blue light is on.
Okay, I wasn't sure if it'd turn red or just blink for VW New Beetle 2002.

So I know when to be concerned. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
That is WRONG. Sorry 04NBT, but it is.

Blue, not up to temperature, if it comes on when the engine is up to temperature (while driving, after it has gone off), there is a malfunction in the system.

Flashing Blue, problem in the coolant electrical system.

Flashing Red, STOP, check coolant level, if it is not low, there are several other possible causes (see below).

See page 16 in the attached .pdf doc below. Pumpkin, suggest you get a n Owners Manual. I have it available in .pdf (p/m me). Perfect next investment in your Bug. Or at least print my .pdf and put it in your glovebox.

MORAV

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is WRONG. Sorry 04NBT, but it is.

Blue, not up to temperature, if it comes on when the engine is up to temperature (while driving, after it has gone off), there is a malfunction in the system.

Flashing Blue, problem in the coolant electrical system.

Red, STOP, check coolant level, if it is not low, there are several other possible causes (see below). IT DOES NOT FLASH & THERE IS NO CHIME ASSOCIATED WITH THIS WARNING LIGHT.

See page 16 in the attached .pdf doc below. Pumpkin, suggest you get a n Owners Manual. I have it available in .pdf (p/m me). Perfect next investment in your Bug. Or at least print my .pdf and put it in your glovebox.

MORAV

The file was damaged.:( So I couldn't view it. But the blue coolant light is normal when you start the car and it's on for a few minutes right? that's what I read somewhere on this forum or somewhere when I googled it one time

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Yes, until the engine warms up to operating temperature, they warm slowly (the reason for 5w40 oil requirement) and even in Houston at 100°, 8-10 minutes.

Opened fine for me. Anyone else have a problem? You might need to update your Adobe Reader. Try opening it from this thread, I think I put it here also. http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-member-forum/51021-newbie-welcome-kit.html

M.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, until the engine warms up to operating temperature, they warm slowly (the reason for 5w40 oil requirement) and even in Houston at 100°, 8-10 minutes.

M.
Okay. It'd been humid and real hot, for a little over a month. And it's still humid here but I don't think it's as BAD as it was, couple of weeks ago.

It takes me like 4-5 min to get to work and so blue coolant light stays on most of the drive there. But yesterday (when I'd already been driving the car a little bit) and then 4 or 5 hours later when I drove to work, the blue coolant light turned off quicker than it normally does. I found it a little strange. But I'm sure it's still normal.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Not strange at all, the engine probably had not totally cooled, and the outdoor ambient temperature was probably 20°-30° higher than when you went to work, under the hood even hotter if the sun was baking it. And yes, in the morning in 4 or 5 minutes it probably would never get to temperature, even on a very hot day. You're fine!

M.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not strange at all, the engine probably had not totally cooled, and the outdoor ambient temperature was probably 20°-30° higher than when you went to work, under the hood even hotter if the sun was baking it. And yes, in the morning in 4 or 5 minutes it probably would never get to temperature, even on a very hot day. You're fine!

M.
Ahh okay. I guess doesn't help that something underneath the front of my car got torn. I must have hit something. But my stepdad looked at it and he said it's all cosmetic which means, won't affect driving the car. He told me to wait until it completely fell off to fix it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I noticed when I started my car, when all the lights come on for a moment on the dashboard that I saw the red coolant light and then it turned blue.

What does that mean if it means anything?! Should I have my coolant looked at?! Does this mean that I'm starting to get low on Coolant?!

I know I'll worry about this until I know.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
I freaked out when the red light came on, and went straight to the dealer (I was not far from there, thank goodness) It was the coolant sensor, an easy fix. Maybe it would be a good idea for you to have it looked at. Good luck!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I freaked out when the red light came on, and went straight to the dealer (I was not far from there, thank goodness) It was the coolant sensor, an easy fix. Maybe it would be a good idea for you to have it looked at. Good luck!
Well, it only came on for a moment with all the other lights on my dash when I start the car. Then the lights turned off and then the blue coolant light came on.

Thanks. I think I'm going keep an eye on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts