VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 2.0l, std. Had the head gasket, water pump, and timing belt changed a couple years ago. Head was warped, and was sent out to be machined.

Everything was fine for the first year, then the light came on. Coolant was just below the prongs, added 500ml, everything was fine. 3 months later, light came on again, coolant just below the prongs again. Looses 500ml every 3 months.

I've never had a engine like this before, but its my understanding that there should be no coolant loss ever as its a sealed system.

Couldn't possibly be the head gasket again, could it? There is a slight odor of coolant in the vehicle, can't tell whether its my imagination or actually is there. Floors are dry.

If the heater core is leaking, where does its usually show evidence of it?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Could be heater core, water pump weep hole, thermostat housing, radiator.

With the low amount of coolant leaking, you will not likely see wet spots, but possibly coolant stains?

Heater core will leak out the AC drain, under middle of car, but this is only if it does not dry out first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Coolant Loss

I have a 2004 NB conv. And we found that the radiator cap was not sealing which caused minor loss in coolant. Check the cap, add G12 coolant. Have the cap pressure checked first. Now do you smell the antifreeze on the outside or inside the car?

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Not sure if this can be done?

Ask your local stealership if they can recommend a UV die to put in with the coolant. The ones over the counter have a disclaimer not to use with DexCool, and I know there are a few things G12, G13 have in common with DexCool.

UV die is one of the handiest things to find small leaks, as it will glow brightly when you point a high intensity UV light at it. I have a pen UV light from WalMart of all places we use for checking security on currency. It's flippen bright! and should do well in this application.

Again, check with the dealership. If you have a small external leak of coolant? This method can be helpful. If the leak is internal? That can't really help in this case. Tiny leaks in the HVAC system may or may not show up, as a tiny leak with the heater core and related parts might dry up before it actually leaves a drainage trace.

jfoj, is this a product you think might help find this tiny leak? I would think even the 'crust' would have a UV glow to it.

S-

·
Super Awesome
91 Posts
It is most likely the coolant flange. Mine was leaking which caused me to be stranded on 95. So I did the whole system a the same time. If everything else was replaced that is most likely your problem, easy to put in too!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm in the process of fixing blend door, foam, etc on a friends daughters 2001 NB, dash is almost apart. But I need to replace the heater cort too, coolant leak & fogging inside windshield. I have searched but not able to find a HOW-TO thread for the heater core replacement. This is my first NB repair & doing for free - Would never have agreed if I knew it would take this loooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnggggggggg!
Can any of you point me in the right direction?
TNX!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts