VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...I'm new here as I've stated in my welcome post in the welcoming section...My girlfriend just bought an off-white 2005 VW Beetle 2.0L. I don't have her manual but I think it is her low coolant/engine hot indicator flashing while she drives. I recently took it to AutoZone and pulled the engine code. It was P0117 (Engine Coolant Temp. Sensor) so I bought it and replaced it...I also noticed that she didn't have any coolant in the reservoir at all so I bought some Autozone brand full strength antifreeze and poured it in along with some water. After doing a more extensive search on the antifreeze, I see that it calls for G12, which it says on the side of the reservoir but I didn't notice.

My question is what are the risks of running this coolant? I read that as long as there isn't any other color of coolant mixing with the universal coolant then it won't sludge up. I didn't see any in the reservoir, but I'm worried. Do you guys think that it's okay?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
I would consider flushing the system and putting in some sort of coolant that you know what it is (G12, now G13, is preferred of course, but running one type is what's most important). Mixing coolants is not good in a VW. G12 doesn't play well with other coolants at all. Since you don't know what was in there before, I wouldn't risk the sludge and the problems that could come with it.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
coolant

That happened to me when I bought my car used and back than I didn't know this forum existed. Six months later my thermostat got stuck slightly open. Took me a while to figure it out since these cars don't have a temperature gauge.
IF I were you drain as much coolant as possible, flush and fill with correct type. Be aware that when you fill back up the reservoir level will fluctuate down for the next 2-3 days until all the air bubbles come out of the system so just keep adding coolant or distilled water to the correct level until the reservoir level no longer go's down. If the reservoir level keeps going down a week or two later than you have a leak somewhere. good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts