VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, as I was repairing another problem (emissions-related) I discovered another issue. On this 2.0, it appears there are two coolant temperature sensors (I'll call them front and rear) but in my manual I can only find information on the rear sensor. These sensors are both installed in a plastic assembly which I think is a shroud for the water pump(?) Anyway, the
electrical connector for the forward sensor is disconnected and the previous owner ran a jumper between the two pins (essentially removing the sensor from the system and fooling the ECM into thinking it has a signal). I've attached two pics, one of the connector and one of the sensor. Can anyone tell me what the sensor is called so I can order it? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
The sensor with 2 pins is the A/C thermal cut-out, so it is not used by the ECM. The sensor with the 4-pin connector goes to the ECM. If you plug the wire into the sensor and the A/C works, then the switch is OK.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, thanks for clarifying--as a first time new beetle owner, (actually it's my wife's new baby) I have a lot to learn. So the A/C thermal cutout is disconnected and the connector is jumpered (simulating an actual A/C thermal cutout). I'm assuming when the cutout went bad, the previous owner did a quick fix (by the way, the A/C works great). Seems like a simple item to replace, but maybe it was cost-prohibitive. Ever replaced one? Expensive part? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
You could check the switch by removing the jumper and plugging the connector back in. The previous owner may have been trying to solve a different problem and not realized what they were doing. The switch may still be good.

·
Keep It Real
1,746 Posts
People that bypass things like that scare me, they usually do such things in an effort to avoid making proper repairs because they are Cheap.

If you do connect it back properly, be sure to check for ECU fault codes so that you might be able to make the repairs correctly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I visited a place called City Auto in Searcy Arkansas where a gentleman has 8 or ten assorted new Beetles and a few removed 2.0 engines. On two of the 2.0 engines we looked at, the A/C thermal cutout switch ports were plugged with what looked like a factory cap, held in by the usual c-clip. It looked almost like it wasn't used on some motors(?)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts