NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
coolant warning light came on after a short drive while idling in the driveway. Shut engine off and checked coolant... it was fine. Started car up and everything was fine... went for a couple of short drives with no warning light.... any thoughts on what it could be?

·
Registered
12,687 Posts
Here are the coolant light modes:

Coolant light modes:

Blue coolant light = engine cold

Flashing blue coolant light = fault in the coolant monitoring system

Flashing red coolant light = low on coolant

Steady red coolant light = engine overheating, pull over and stop engine IMMEDIATELY and do not run until the problem has been identified.

You might scan for trouble codes and see, if there are any faults in the cooling system. Typically, the light will be blue; as the engine is cold and then, go out, after it gets to operating temperature. What color was the coolant light; when it came on?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My daughter was driving.... either nothing or blue... then went away. She was waiting for her aunt to come out for a quick ride when it came on and started flashing red and beeping... but after shutting it off and checking the coolant.. everything was fine and no problems.... gonna take it in tomorrow for a check... but wanted to have some ideas about what could be going on

·
Registered
702 Posts
Not sure what year or model you’re talking about, but most coolant bottles have two wire probes down inside the bottle that can become corroded causing them not to work properly. By working properly I mean they no longer sense the coolant level. I used a screwdriver to scrape mine once to partially clean the off and they have worked fine since. A new coolant bottle is less the $30 and about a 15 minute job if the old one proves defective.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts