NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an effort to keep this friendly....try not to flame anyone. Merely list some of the coolest albums to be released in 2005. Doesn't even have to be your favorite or the best...simply the COOLEST of 2005.

Here's some of the coolest stuff i picked up from 2005.

Teenage Fanclub - Man Made
Their first album on their own label. Now perhaps they will get back what label issues stole from them.

Big Star - In Space
Alex Chilton and Jody Stephens along with Posies Ken Stringfellow and Jon Auer bringing back the name and style of the most influencial rock band of the 70s you may never have heard, but know all of the bands they've influenced.

Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1
The 3rd installment in their ongoing tale of Coheed and Cambria (the characters).

John Davis - s/t
After finding Jesus, the former Superdrag leader puts out a gospel/rock album with a southern feel. Even the skeptics can't deny this record is cool.

The Mars Volta - Scab Dates
Little bit live, little bit new, little bit old. Why mess with a good thing? Because art doesn't stop when it's partially improvised. Very cool stuff.

Iron and Wine - Woman King
This is the coolest EP i've ever heard. Better than all previous releases.

Iron and Wine and Clexico - In The Reins
Two great bands, one great EP. This is one of the more unique releases all year.

The Posies - Every Kind Of Light
Finally after years of multiple releases you can't break up one of the best bands of the 90s. They broke up because of so many reasons, but couldn't deny that together Jon and Ken are quite possibly the Simon and Garfunkel of modern rock. Undeniably cool.

Whatchoo got?

I know TJ has to have something hiding.:D

·
RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!
2,063 Posts
Toad said:
Uhmm, there only 1 cd that came out in '05 that's any good: Dropkick Murphy's - Warriors Code :D
!
Man another dropkick fan, sweet!

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
My top 15 for '05"

1. Micah P. Hinson and the Gospel of Progress ~ S/T

2. Mary Gauthier ~ Mercy Now

3. John Prine ~ Fair and Square

4. Deadman ~ Our Eternal Ghosts

5. Eliza Gilkyson ~ Paradise Hotel

6. Antigone Rising ~ From the Ground Up

7. Archer Prewitt ~ Wilderness

8. Aimee Mann ~ The Forgotten Arm

9. Damon & Naomi ~ The Earth is Blue

10. David Elias ~ Crossing

11. Caitlin Cary and Thad Cockrell ~ Begonias

12. Bobby Bare ~ The Moon Was Blue

13. Adrienne Young ~ The Art of Virtue

14. Andrew Bird ~ The Mysterious Production of Eggs

15. Harry Manx ~ Mantras for Madmen

Yes, it was a very good year for music :)

-dave

·
33 ⅓
15,621 Posts
FineExampl said:
In an effort to keep this friendly....try not to flame anyone. Merely list some of the coolest albums to be released in 2005. Doesn't even have to be your favorite or the best...simply the COOLEST of 2005. I know TJ has to have something hiding.:D
Indeed.

As anyone who knows me knows, I love music, of all kinds. BUT, one of my all time FAB FAVE ARTISTS had been on a break for about 12 years, give or take...and in 2005, came out with this:

Kate Bush
Ariel

Now, I have a list of others that came out in 2005...Does it count against them that some of them are re-issues?

But for now, if I had to pick one CD from 2005, that CD by Kate Bush would be it.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Actually... Neil Diamond's 12 Songs IS a great album (surprise)
as is William Shatner's Has Been (double surprise).

But I'd have to say the coolest album of the year, for me, is Spoon's Gimme Fiction.

Brian Wilson's SMiLE, which should've been the coolest album of the year... dunno... just didn't do it for me.

*edit: whoops... I just checked, and both Has Been and SMiLE were released in late 2004... so I guess they wouldn't have qualified anyway ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts