VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
volks r cool
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found tons of info on the muti fan set up on the beetle & related other volks set-ups.
I have found none on my set up which is one & only one fan on the radiator.
I'am not compleatly convinced this elaborate set up on the volks is working coreectly.
I have a pod /gauge set u in my bug which has a coolant temp.gauge.Many times in the summer & in traffic it kind of seemed it was running hot & I turn the heater on high full heat & the temp comes down....I need to know a basic chk to make sure this coolant fan operation is working correctly ......Any help /info would be greatly apprciated...thnx forum....

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Which year, model and engine code New Beetle are we working with?

What temps are you seeing; the car go to and how is the coolant temp light acting? These fans; have the controller connected to them and thus, are more expensively priced.

When the car has cooled off; you might sin the fan blades by hand and see if it feels like it is binding. Eventually, the bearings wear out; they bind, causing a high amp draw and potentially melting the fuse panel, on top of the battery.

Cooling related problems and failed sensors; will typically throw a trouble code, if you scan the car with a VW specific scan tool like a VAG 401 or VCDS by Ross Tech.
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
volks r cool
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re:cooling Fan

Billy---The volks is a 2008 Beetle vert Se 2.5 bpr engine here in calif....The coolant light never has come on or engine codes...I just want to make some checks to make sure the fan operation is ok...It gets up to 220 after a long time in traffic & just turn heater on....The fan& control module was replaced about a year ago but I still thinkI have gotten the fan operation problm back again....thnx Billymade

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
From what you are saying; it doesn't sound like you are overheating? If you do; the coolant light will definitely come on and typically, the tank will be boiling and overheating. If you are not losing fluid; the levels have not been dropping and your light isn't beeping or flashing at you, I would assume things are working ok. Your single fan; looks to be a two speed system.

Here are the typical coolant light modes:

Blue coolant light = engine cold
Flashing blue coolant light = fault in the coolant monitoring system
Flashing red coolant light = low on coolant
Steady red coolant light = engine overheating, pull over and stop engine IMMEDIATELY and do not run until the problem has been identified.

Here is the service manual pages; for the cooling system, you could check things out, do testing if you want and learn how the system, sensors work.

fan testing:

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswa...ose/component_information/diagrams/page_4060/

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > New Beetle Convertible L5-2.5L (BPR) (2007) > Engine, Cooling and Exhaust > Cooling System > Radiator Cooling Fan > Radiator Cooling Fan Control Module > Component Information > Locations

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > New Beetle Convertible L5-2.5L (BPR) (2007) > Engine, Cooling and Exhaust > Cooling System > Radiator Cooling Fan > Radiator Cooling Fan Control Module > Component Information > Diagrams > Diagram Information and Instruc

Aside, from the 220 degrees F in traffic; have you seen any other things, that would indicate to you that something is not right in the cooling system or lead you to believe, it is overheating?

Maybe, someone; can chime in and look in their Bentley manual, to see what the temp specs are, when the fan should kick on (mine only goes to 2002).

Here are the specs for the thermostat:

Thermostat: Specifications

Thermostat Starts to open: approx. 87° C (188 F)

End of opening: approx. 102° C (215 F)

Open distance: at least 7 mm

Bypass Thermostat

Starts to open: approx. 75° C (167 F)

Opening end: approx. 85° C (185 F)

Opens approx. 5 mm

Here are some tech bulletin info; about the fan operating after key is turned off:

Condition
19 13 03 October 10, 2013 2022549 Supersedes T.B. V191301 dated March 8, 2013 to update model year
applicability.
Electric Coolant Fans Continue to Run after Ignition is Switched OFF
Note:
Customer concerns of “electric coolant fans continue to run after ignition is switched off” are resulting in
unnecessary coolant fan replacements.
Technical Background
It is considered normal operation for the electric coolant fans to continue to run for up to 15 minutes after the
ignition is switched off in gasoline engine applications, and up to 16 minutes in diesel engine applications.

·
volks r cool
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re:cooling Fan

Billy...thnx so much for your info. I will try & do the checks you provided but one thing at the end of your post concerning fans running when ignition is turned off...Does that apply to my car or is about 2013 models or what?.....My fans never stay on when ignition is turned off when they were on when running......thnx agian....

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I think, the fans CAN come on; if it is particularly hot outside. On my 1.8T; there is an auxiliary water pump, that continues to pump coolant to the turbocharger. I don't know if this is the case with the 2.5L but many cars, run their fans for a little bit, after you turn the car off (if it is particularly hot).

The tech bulletin; listed all VW models (Except Routan): from 2005-2015. The TB, was more saying; that coming on was ok, not a sign that the fans needed replaced. Further research; might shed some light on, when they should come on.

This is listed; at the end:

Procedure:

• Verify the period of time the electric coolant fans continue to run after the vehicle ignition is switched off.
If the period verified is less than 15 minutes in gasoline engine applications, or less than 16 minutes in diesel
engine applications, this is considered normal operation and the customer should be notified as such.
If the period verified is more than 15 minutes in gasoline engine applications, or more than 16 minutes in diesel
engine applications, continue with diagnosis using GFF.

·
volks r cool
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: fans

Billy -Thnx again on such good important info...My fans have NEVER came on after car was turned off no matter how hot....I hope thts not a problm.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts