NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, my DIL has a 1999 Beatle, purchased used last April. Apparently it blew a head gasket in the first month. Fellow that did the work, fixed that and hot wired the Rad. fan to be on all the time the key was on. He also made it so her Heater blower motor did not function? Well, here it is almost Winter and no heat. My question: It looks like the front of the car must be removed to gain access to work on/replace the cooling fan assembly, true? I also have no idea why the blower motor will not function and why this mechanic would mess with it. Thanks

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
You can wiggle the fans out without removing the front end. My husband did that for me soon after I got my car and a fan died.

Have you talked to whoever did the work to see what he did and if he messed with the blower? Could be coincidental that the blower failed.

Why did he even mess with the fan to begin with? Did it continue to overheat after the headgasket was replaced or something?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Or the thermal switch, or a wiring issue. If you want to get it back to factory, you need to check to make sure all the components are still intact and then with the use of the wiring diagram, figure out what was altered and what is needed to get it back to correct. Then you can test the components. The jury rigging may have been done, simply to save buying a replacement part, or because the "mechanic" didn't know how to track down the problem. Here's some information to get you familiar with the cooling fans (this links you to a thread with a link to another thread) -

Bentley Cooling System Diagnostics
http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/52013-overheating-problem.html#post753256

Fans running all the time will cause the engine to run too cool, and could also contribute to the heating problem. Although if the blower isn't working, and was in fact deleted somehow (could be as simple as a removed fuse), for some reason, you're basically going to have to check all the components involved in the blower system the same way, checking the wiring first, to see what was altered. The only reason I can imagine defeating the fresh air blower would be if it was blowing fuses, but then why would one have to purposely defeat it. No heat blower, no a/c blower, no defroster, not good. Here's some information to get you familiar with the fresh air blower system -
http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/53086-need-some-help-girls-beetle.html#post762935

We'll help, just tell us what you want to do. I am usually around and have both the Bentley Repair Manual and Bentley Service Manual, and can at least help with wiring diagrams and a certain amount of wiring knowledge.

MORAV

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
Are the fans working? If so, I would look to the wiring. Unless he butchered the wiring on the fans themselves, then I wouldn't go replacing the fans if they work.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
What should I be paying for the fan assembly? Any particular brand to stay away from?
Through the use of the diagnostics you downloaded, you determined the fans are not working? Neither one? At any speed? Just make sure you tested them correctly. One poster on here was jumping the wires on the wrong plug and thought he was doing it right.

M.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Only one is working, I believe the larger one. Been Hot Wired since April this year, time for a new assembly I think. I am in FL, the car is in MI. I will be up there next week on some other issues and promised I would look at her car then.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
I'd get everything tested well before you go replacing things. *Thinking* something isn't working is fine, but don't go spending money on parts until you *know* it isn't working. AND you can replace a single fan. No need to replace the entire assembly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK,got in last night and looked at her car. Guy she bought this from told her the AC didn't work, of course,it's gone!!! The comp. and piping has been removed!! One Rad. fan is gone and the other doesn't work at all. Blower motor didn't work,I knew that,but cheze. Gas cap release door doesn't work. One taillight doesn't work. Going to be a busy weekend.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the POS car now. All fuses check out in the Blower motor circuit,still nothing. LOWER rad.hose stays cold,upper gets hot,coolant jug overflow gets hot. Thermostat maybe? Blue flashing light on all the time? :(

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
With the light flashing, I'd start by replacing the coolant temp sensor. I think you may have a few issues going on at once, but the flashing light, more often than not, points to the coolant temp sensor. Cheap (<$30, even from the dealer, even buying a new clip and o-ring) and easy to replace (10 min. job max).

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
You can test the engine coolant temperature sensor (ECT), by reading the resistance across specified terminals. If you go to page 19-9 in the Bentley diagnostics I put up, this is explained in detail. The cool lower hose indicates a restriction of some kind to my way of thinking, but typically this would trip an overheat situation and resultant red temp light. Maybe have a look at the thermostat.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok,flashing Blue light is gone,replaced the sensor. Will check the T Stat tomorrow. I have a new cooling fan assembly and will try that with the OLD Fan Controller first. $32/gal for antifreeze, WHAT IS THAT? :mad:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Changed out the thermostat and the cooling fans. Someone B4 me stripped the oil drain plug,nice. Have to get anti freeze and find a way of dealing wth the drain plug then run it and check things out.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
$32/gal for antifreeze, WHAT IS THAT? :mad:
Oh, did we all fail to mention the special G12 coolant required, and that it ain't your Daddy's Prestone? And yeah, a couple bucks more a gallon. If what came out wasn't pink, you might want to flush the system real good and then run it with just distilled water till your sure everything is working and sealed. Yep, distilled water, not faucet H2O with the NB, they say the chemicals can cause damage.

Wait till you see the price for the new oil pan!

M.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts