VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new member here. We just picked up a 2000 Beetle 2.0 Auto as a 3rd car. I've visited here a good bit and have found many solutions to the minor issues with the car.

Today while my wife was coming home from work it developed a new problem. She said the ABS light came on and she smelled something burning. Turns out there is a problem with the cooling fans and it seemed to have pulled the battery down far enough to cause a low voltage code in the ABS. So when I went out to the car after she got home I heard the cooling fans cycling on and off quietly, low speed I'm guessing, accompanied by the relays clicking. The fans click on, then a second or two later click off just as they start o spin up. I have found that 2 wires on the radiator temperature switch had rubbed through and were shorting. Also the 30A fuse on top of the battery is quite warm. If I unplug the radiator temp switch (ignition off) the fans keep clicking on and off. If I unplug the fan control module it stops. If I pull the 30 A fuse on top of the battery it stops. I've been searching for over an hour for these symptoms and have not found any quite the same. I have also searched the entire internet for a good wiring diagram but have come up empty handed. Hopefully someone else has seen this and can offer some advice.

Thanks in advance,
Jon

·
Registered
100 Posts
Start with the fuse box on top of the battery. Take it off and throw it away and don't keep the fuses. You can buy a new one on eBay for around $25.
That fuse box burns up from the inside out and will create a lot of problems. Next change the coolant temp sensor. Make sure the new one is green. This is an upgrade from the original. Fix the wires on the temperature switch and I will bet things get a lot better. Just sayin!

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
fans

Start with the fuse box on top of the battery. Take it off and throw it away and don't keep the fuses. You can buy a new one on eBay for around $25.
That fuse box burns up from the inside out and will create a lot of problems. Next change the coolant temp sensor. Make sure the new one is green. This is an upgrade from the original. Fix the wires on the temperature switch and I will bet things get a lot better. Just sayin!
On top of those things zapper suggested I would also replace both electric fans since they are pretty much gone on a 13-14 year old car. I believe you have the 3 wire plug fans so those are not too expensive on ebay. Everything go's through the fan control module so I would consider changing that too, or at least remove and inspect the inside of it. Nobody seems to have a schematic of the fan control module's inside electronics.....been looking for that too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts