NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read through the entire cooling fan discussion. I have a dilemma that I didn't see covered. I took the old fan assembly out and installed a new Dorman unit part #620-773. When I went to plug in the connectors I discovered that the large fan is a 3 wire plug on the new unit. The large fan on my current set-up is a 4 wire plug. The FLAPS says they only show that fan assembly for my car. My car is a 2004 GLS convertible with the 1.8LT and the 5 speed manual. It appears that no one sells the unit with a 4 wire connector on the large fan!?? I can replace just the small fan as that was the one that wasn't working but I'd hate to have to do all this work again when the large fan craps out. Does anyone have a suggestion where to get 2 replacement fans with the correct plugs for my car? The VW dealer seemed clueless when I explained my problem.

Greg

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
There are a number of different fans; even though, most parts catalogs show a certain fan assembly that doesn't work. You might check out VDO; which makes the original fans for our cars. Here is their parts catalog: VDO_ATE Online Parts Catalog

One of my fans was bad (passenger side; for a/c condensor) and I was able to find it in the VDO brand and it was available online from amazon, many other places and from my local autozone. VDO part#: FA70006

Oddly enough, I could not seem to find the drivers side; like yours. Maybe, you could contact VDO and see if they make one for it: E-Mail: [email protected]

Your VW dealer; should be able to get your the correct parts, based upon your VIN # but they will be very expensive. Shop Volkswagen Parts and Accessories

Another way to look; is to get the old part number off the old fans and look using those part numbers, on the sticker there.

I don't know for sure but it might be this one?

Primary Fan Assembly - 345MM

Larger of the two fans found behind the radiator. (4-pin)

VW part #: 1C0959455A

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/primary-fan-assembly-345mm/1c0959455a/

One reason this part; maybe hard to source, is it is listed as for vehicles in "hot climate zones"; so, it maybe an optional part based upon which region it is sent to from the factory?

Other aftermarket possibilities are:

Meyle:

part #: 100 232 0001 Comparison numbers 1C0 959 455 A VW
Ø 345 mm, Rated Power 350/250/60 W

Listed on european websites; like ebay uk.

Here is a list; of Meyle, dealers in the USA.

http://www.meyle.com/fileadmin/user_upload/standorte/usa/Top_Internet_Sources-with-MEYLE-parts-USA_6-1-16.pdf

Nissens:

Nissens VW NEW BEETLE Fan Radiator part #: 85726 1.8 01/98-01/10

Listed on rockauto.com and ebay:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Nissens+85726&oq=Nissens+85726&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60l3&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that is the correct fan for my car. I am amazed that they are so hard to find (and pricey). It is not the one that is bad. The one that is bad is the smaller one that is pretty easy to find for not as much money. It is just that as long as I have pulled the fan assembly out I'd like to replace both fans especially since the good larger fan has been pulling double duty. I just sold my 1990 Buick Reatta convertible because parts were becoming impossible to find. I never thought that would be the case with a much newer Beetle.

Billymade, i'd like to thank you and jfoj for all the help you provide here on this forum. It seems like you 2 are the few who are helping with issues and I really appreciate your patience and willingness to help us. I really like this new to me car and I hope I can get comfortable with its upkeep.

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
Update: check out the Nissens fan from rockauto.com; it is much more affordable than a genuine VW part. I have not used Nissens; so, I cannot vouch for their quality but they are defintiely cheaper. :)

No one knows everything but with the collective knowledge of these cars, everyone can really help each other out. That is a powerful resource; when everyone pitches in and shares their knowledge. :)

Again, the scarcity of this fan; may be related to this: it is listed as for vehicles in "hot climate zones"; so, it maybe an optional part with the 4 pin plug (three fan speeds/rated power 350/250/60 watts), based upon which region it is sent to from the factory? Just a thought; since I noticed the fan being designated as this and all the rest, have 3 prongs and I assume only 2 fan speeds.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is interesting. My beetle according to CarFax was purchased new here in the Seattle area as was the second owner also here in the greater Seattle area, not exactly what would be called a "hot climate zone".

I'm also curious if I leave the battery out of the car for a day or so, will I have to reprogram stuff to have it running properly? It looks like it may be a few days before I get the proper parts to reinstall. I had to pull the battery to gain access to some of the fasteners. I have read other posts here that mention radio codes and throttle positioners for the 1.8. I would assume that the car would undergo a relearning process after the battery has been disconnected for a few days but do I actively have to reprogram stuff?

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
Good question; in general, when I disconnect my battery things are ok. Sometimes, I will get a "safe mode" reading on my head unit but cycling on/off button, usually clears that up.

One time, my car was down for a long time (months) and the battery went dead, I had to align the throttle body and I think, input the head unit security code. This code; is inside your user's manual; if you don't have one, you can check with your VW dealer or search online for some sites that offer the codes for a fee or for free (using the number printed on a sticker; on top of the head unit).

http://newbeetle.org/forums/car-audio/16860-radio-security-code-issues-3.html

As for the fans; maybe a combo of: a/c, 1.8T and hot climate spec, has vw install a 3 speed vs. a 2 speed fan? I would defintiely think; the 1.8 Turbo cars engine compartments, run hotter.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Last night despite being tired I went to Rock Auto and couldn't find the Nissen fan. This morning, using your google search, it popped up with the correct fan. I also noticed there was a warning from Nissen stating that in order to work properly, some cars need to be programmed to accept new electrical components. Is that true with the Beetle? How is that done? I have ordered a Vag-com and it is waiting for me to pick it up in our mail room when I get a minute.

I think at this point, I will test the old large 4 wire fan to make sure it is working. I will then install the new small fan along with the old 4 wire fan to get the car back on the road. I'll order the new fan from rock auto and keep it for when the old fan finally bites the dust.

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
I have never heard; of needing to program anything, specifically related to fans. If I was going to order the fan; I would install it right away. Otherwise, you might end up with something that doesn't work and you would be, way beyond your return/warranty date. :mad: I have not ordered or installed the Nissens fan but from the research I have done, looking at the schematic show of the fan, the plug and the referenced VW part #, I would say it is the correct one. The only other option; is the Meyle one and I am seeing that on european based websites. I know that fcpeuro.com; carries Meyle and FCPEURO, offers a lifetime warranty on any parts, bought through their site. So, you might call or email them and see if they can get the Meyle fan. I don't know why but many brands like Meyle; will offer their parts in Europe but then, many of their dealers do not sell it or cannot source it. I can't figure out; why so many European brands, have catalogs, list parts available for our cars but don't sell them in North America. You would assume; the USA would be a massive market, they would want to sell to, go figure...

Here is a list; of USA dealers for Meyle:

http://www.meyle.com/fileadmin/user_upload/standorte/usa/Top_Internet_Sources-with-MEYLE-parts-USA_6-1-16.pdf

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I spent all afternoon on these cooling fans. My FLAPS had the small fan in stock and ordered the large fan (Nissen) to arrive today by 2PM. I installed the small fan and then picked up the new large fan. I checked it before I left the FLAPS to make sure it was the correct size and had the correct 4 wire plug. I got home and installed it into the (removed) fan shroud but before I wrestled the fan shroud into place I decided to test the new fans to make sure they worked. The new small fan worked great, the new large fan only worked on high speed. Sigh! At this point I decided that wasting 2 days trying to replace a part that wasn't broken was enough. I reinstalled the old large fan, tested it to make sure it was still working and then installed the whole shebang back in the car. Success.

I have to note that having manly arms is not conducive to working on these New Beetles. And whoever the engineer was that came up with the battery mounting should be reassigned to the Rube Goldberg School of Engineering. At last I have my new bug running and ready for detailing. I feel confidant that it will give me a few miles before something else raises its ugly head.

Further information, everything worked fine. No reprogramming of the radio or any other system. I will be picking up my Vag-Com in a day or so at the mail room and I will check to see if there are any codes left. Am I correct in assuming that disconnecting the battery overnight clears any stored trouble codes or do they have to be manually removed?

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
Hmm, I don't know; what the problem would be on the Nissens fan and I have never used their products either. What brand fan; did you buy for the small one?

As for the reset; it may depend on what light is on and whether or not it can be cleared with a hard reset (remove pos/neg cables; touch them together for a bit, then reinstall them).

You may want to leave the codes/light as is; until you can read what the codes are and then clear them with vcds. After taking a test drive; you might, scan the car again and see if any codes come back.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The small fan I bought from NAPA. It is made by ATE. I hope it holds up but I had to get the car up and running again.

There are no lights or warnings. I was wondering about stored codes. When I had the timing belt service done a week or so ago, the mechanic said he saw a code for the fan not working. There were no lights then either. I was wondering if the code cleared when the battery was disconnected or did I have to go in with my VagCom and manually clear it. No worries, I'll get my VagCom today and check it myself.

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
ATE/VDO is a good company, VDO is the original supplier of the cooling fans from the VW factory and they should be a long lasting fan. As noted I replaced mine with the VDO # FA70006 and it has been flawless without any issues, it was identical to my original part. My a/c is running cooler too; since it cools the condenser.

These vw's tend to store codes, that are not picked up by a generic obd II scan tool but VCDS will pick everything up, that is stored in the memory of the different controllers. VCDS is a great tool for the price; if a genuine Ross Tech product, you get access to registered owner only support forums, USA based call in tech support and lifetimes software upgrades. I have never regretted the investment, I bought mine when the warranty went out on my car in 2007 and my car, would probably not be on the road today without it! :) Be sure to let us know how things go with it and if you have any questions; let us know.

You might check some videos and links to get you up to speed:

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&hl=en-us&ei=s4eCV8f3C5SijQPayoHoAQ&q=+vcds+basics&oq=+vcds+basics&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.3..0i22i30.31991.38963.0.40939.20.20.0.0.0.0.229.3500.0j14j6.20.0....0...1.1.64.mobile-gws-serp..10.10.1971...0j0j30i10j0i7i30j0i67.f0vtJM6ovC8

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I believe the 4 wire fan it a 3 speed unit. These were on the turbo motors with AC as I recall. The 3 wire fans are 2 speed fans that are available in the aftermarket, but the 3 speed fans are few and far between.

Search around, cannot recall if it was VW or BMW where people claimed they use the 3 wire/2 speed fans and cobbled them in to a 4 wire/3 speed controller. I recall that they actually just tied the medium and high speed fan controller wires together??

Do your research and see if you can find this conversion.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think it could be easily accomplished. The wire harness connectors are different and won't mesh. To do this, one would have to cut the connector off the body wire harness splice the wires together for the low speeds and then wire that to a donor plug from a 2 fan speed car. The 2 speed fan is the same size as the 3 speed fan. There is little difference in the low speed operation of the fan. After spending a couple days trying to get a replacement for a working part, I decided to put the old 3 speed fan back in.

Is AC that rare in the Beetle? I would think almost every person who would opt for the 1.8L would also opt for AC.

Greg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello; I had the same problem with the big fan and my husband just cut the 4 prong connector off of the old fan and put it on the new fan by splicing and it has been working for about 2 years now with no problems.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
fans

I spent all afternoon on these cooling fans. My FLAPS had the small fan in stock and ordered the large fan (Nissen) to arrive today by 2PM. I installed the small fan and then picked up the new large fan. I checked it before I left the FLAPS to make sure it was the correct size and had the correct 4 wire plug. I got home and installed it into the (removed) fan shroud but before I wrestled the fan shroud into place I decided to test the new fans to make sure they worked. The new small fan worked great, the new large fan only worked on high speed. Sigh! At this point I decided that wasting 2 days trying to replace a part that wasn't broken was enough. I reinstalled the old large fan, tested it to make sure it was still working and then installed the whole shebang back in the car. Success.

I have to note that having manly arms is not conducive to working on these New Beetles. And whoever the engineer was that came up with the battery mounting should be reassigned to the Rube Goldberg School of Engineering. At last I have my new bug running and ready for detailing. I feel confidant that it will give me a few miles before something else raises its ugly head.

Further information, everything worked fine. No reprogramming of the radio or any other system. I will be picking up my Vag-Com in a day or so at the mail room and I will check to see if there are any codes left. Am I correct in assuming that disconnecting the battery overnight clears any stored trouble codes or do they have to be manually removed?
So the large Nissan fan part # 85726 actually physical fits in there? was the connector compatible? as long as it's the same wattage I believe it'll work the only time it uses that 3rd speed it's when the engine coolant get's up to 225 F' I believe.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, it physically fits and the plug is compatible with the wiring harness. The only issue I had with the Nissen fan was that it was an out of the box failure. It would only work on high speed. Doesn't anyone test their products before they box them up?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello; I had the same problem with the big fan and my husband just cut the 4 prong connector off of the old fan and put it on the new fan by splicing and it has been working for about 2 years now with no problems.
See, this is the great thing about these forums. Your husband's way, of course is the easiest way to install the 3 wire fan to an existing 4 wire system. My way would have butchered the original wiring harness and sent me searching for a 3 wire plug. Of course I'd prefer to install the original equipment as the VW engineers felt that the extra speed on the fan was important. This is a good fix when the 4 wire fans become NLA.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
fan

Well this Is great news to hear and my HAT off to whomever found this Nissan part # that fits our beetles. My large 4 wire fan went bad 1.5 year ago but I just repaired it and it's been running good so far. I think i'll order the Nissan fan and try it out. Thanks for sharing this info.

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
I found it! :) A great resource; for finding cross reference parts for VW part #'s is this site:

For example; putting in our VW part # 1C0959455A: ; comes up with this result:

http://infopart.org/volkswagen-1c0959455a-part

These parts; must have been reproduced recently, as I was not able to find this fan except from VW. Has anyone else; used NIssens parts? I don't know; what their quality level is but they do seem to offer, a wide ranging catalog of cooling fans and radiators for most cars on the road today. Although, seeing how this member; could not get it to work, doesn't sound very encouraging and it sounds like it was/is defective?

Again, so far; I haven't been able to find the Meyle version for some reason, Meyle sells a ton of parts for VW's, looking at their online catalog and many are not available here in the USA for some reason. I have heard; mixed reviews about the quality of Meyle parts, so I don't know the durability of the fan. I contacted FCP EURO; as they are a Meyle dealer and they didn't sell the Meyle fan but do sell the genuine VW fan, which is very expensive @ $350:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-engine-cooling-fan-motor-beetle-1c0959455amy

As for "hacking" a 2 speed fan; to work on a 3 speed fan, I would not want to do that as you do not have all speeds to cool the car sufficiently. I live in the desert southwest and I would definitely need that higher speed. I am not a advocate; of disabling the performance of cooling devices like the cooling fans or the auxiliary cooling pump. If VW engineers; put these devices on our cars, there was a reason for this. I have the AWP 180 HP Turbo; so, I think you need all the cooling capability available.

(three fan speeds/rated power 350/250/60 watts),

(two fan speeds/rated power /220/60 watts),

I just emailed VDO and asked them about availability of the this LHS cooling fan; as they are/were the oem for Volkswagen from the factory. I bought the VDO fan for the right side but no listing for the left. I also contacted Meyle USA; so, we will see what they say. I will update this thread; when, I get a response from both of them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts