VW Beetle Forum banner

Cooling fans

2K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  warriorbass05 
#1 ·
I have scrolled through a number of items on here and am still having some questions about this problem. I have a 2002 2.0 that suddenly is leaving the fans on. I just had the water pump and timing belt done about 4 days ago. today, the fans are now staying on and I cannot find a wiring schematic to know where the relays and sensors are for me to start trouble shooting. I have also noticed a two prong connector on a coolant pipe with nothing attached on the right side of the plenum...any help is appreciated.....I usually work air cooled so this is a new adventure!!!

#2 ·
Hey, here is a good place to start; excellent thread, going over the cooling system and how the fans work:

As to the "two pronged connector"; you might post a photo of the area you are referring to and that way, we know, what you are talking about.

Please, describe, the "fans are now staying on" issue; is the engine overheating, what are the coolant temps and has the cooling system been purged of all air (e.g. "burped")? Who did the waterpump/timing belt job? If a pro shop did the work; you might take it back to them and have them complete the needed repairs, confirm the cooling system is operating correctly, as you already paid for the correct repairs, to the cooling system. Let us know, the background of the care; how the cooling system is operating and we can go from there. Thanks.

#3 ·
The fans are running low speed when the car is turned off and will run for hours without the key being near the car. I called the shop who did the timing belt and water pump...the fans constantly running was an issue before the car was repaired. The thermal switch has been replaced as well as most of the sensors (according to the friend I got it from) so it leads me to believe that either:
A. one of the new sensors is bad
B. after reading here, the fans themselves have a relay/sensor that is an issue
C. ???

the cooling system seems to be functioning normally. The repairs were done because the water pump actually broke apart while driving and, even though the car did not overheat, the pump was destroyed in the housing. The repair guy pressurized the system and made sure there were no add'l 'burps' that were still circulating.

The car has a strange history...My friend got it from a person in NC who had left the windows down and the sunroof open during a hurricane,...not flooded but wet....I am changing the carpet and headliner too

#6 ·
VCDS, is a clone of the factory vw scan tool; they use at the VW dealerships. A scan tool such as this; can scan for factory vw trouble codes and do things, like output testing, to confirm the fans can be powered on/off as commanded by the ecu. There are cheaper options; OBDEleven is becoming popular and then, there are the lesser quality Chinese knockoff handheld "VAG" scant tools, sold on ebay and amazon.

Here is more info; on the fan control module and testing, repair info from the service manual here:

#7 ·
fan control moduel location:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.