NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '04 was diagnosed by AutoZone as having a "Cooling System Performance Problem" after the "check engine" light came on.

FYI the water pump was replaced 10 months ago along with the timing belt and tensioner. Also the car is exhibiting no other problems e.g. no idiot lights are coming on indicating overheating; engine temp seems normal; no visible leaking; hoses seem fine; coolant level in expansion tank high.

This is the 2nd time this happened. The first was about 10 days ago. I had the code cleared, drove it about 2000 miles on a trip, then it happened again today.

Any suggestions or things to check would be appreciated.
You all have a great day.
trshman

·
5/23/10 <3
11,172 Posts
Do you know what the actual code number is? My first thought is a bad coolant temp sensor, but could also be a thermostat. But it can depend on the code being thrown.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Smileybug,
Thanks for the response. Getting a code number would have been the intelligent thing to do. It was a little after 8am when I went to Autozone and unfortunately my 2 remaining brain cells don't "kick in" until after 9 so I didn't ask for it.
He didn't offer it, he just cleared the device so I guess both of us fouled up here.
It's getting cooler here in East Tennessee. I think I'm going to drain and flush the radiator and while I'm at it replace the thermostat and coolant. See if that does the trick.

If the problem comes back I'll be sure and get a code number next time.:cool:
Thanks again, trshman

·
5/23/10 <3
11,172 Posts
There isn't a huge reason to do all that. Especially if you already had the water pump done. Coolant would have been drained from that.

I'd drive around and see if the CEL comes back on. If it does, get it scanned and get the actual code number. It could just be a bad coolant temp sensor which is super easy and cheap to replace. No reason to just do work to the car that may not be needed.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
There isn't a huge reason to do all that. Especially if you already had the water pump done. Coolant would have been drained from that.

I'd drive around and see if the CEL comes back on. If it does, get it scanned and get the actual code number. It could just be a bad coolant temp sensor which is super easy and cheap to replace. No reason to just do work to the car that may not be needed.
I agree with Smileybug. More than likely the coolant and thermostat are fine. Get a 5 dollar coolant sensor and swap it out in about 20 seconds and see if that will do the trick. 9 out of 10 times it is to blame if there is a check engine light that comes on for a cooling code. The actual code will confirm this. If the CEL comes back make sure to get the code.
ECS Tuning - Cart

·
Registered
40 Posts
considering the car runs normally, Geen sensor should fix it. if not check wiring.that sensor do a few things and when it goes bad different symptoms appear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts