NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a)Need advice on the correct oil level. As seen in the photo, the level of oil is above the hashmarks, at or just barely over the angle in the upper bend. Is the "Max" line the top of the hashmark or at the upper bend?
Also, if the oil level seen on my dipstick is considered over-filled, can this cause the oil pressure warning light/buzzer to trigger intermittently?

b) My oil pan is stripped and is "fixed" with a piggy-back drain plug. If I need to drain some of the oil, has anyone pumped oil through the dipstick tube using the oil transfer pump shown in the other photo? I'm weary about whether this type of oil pump siphon actually works, so any advice from someone who has used one is appreciated.
Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I do not think the hand pump you have pictured will work very well?? You will need a much smaller hose to fit in the dipstick tube and this will cause the process to take a long time. Also if the oil is warm, you have to hold this pump and you could have issue with the temp of the oil.

Almost all oil extractors I have seen and heard about people using are vacuum style extraction pumps. More expensive, yes, but the goal is to quickly, easily and cleanly change your oil, likely you will have to speed some money.

Look at something like this - Hydro-Turf Oil Extractor OIL01 : Amazon.com : Automotive

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
The correct oil level is within the hashmark area. The bend is the "maximum overfill" above which you could get foaming caused by the connecting rods hitting the oil. This would lead to the intermittent oil pressure warning that you describe.

If you have a hand-operated vacuum pump you may be able to use that to draw oil up into a small hose through the dipstick tube and start a siphon that way. It will flow slowly but it you are only trying to lower the level some it may do the job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts