NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the proud new owner of a new (to me) '01 TDI Beetle!

I'm just doing some research I probably should have done before buying the car but, better late than never I suppose. My Beetle, which I'm quite happy with, has just over 100,000 km on it and I'm thinking the timing belt has not been changed and likely needs it from what I hear.

Not hearing good things about our local VW dealership, I checked out an independent shop in which does a lot of VW work and was quoted about $2000.00 to change the belt and water pump. I know this is a relatively expensive job but 2 grand seems a bit much....from what I've been reading it seems this is usually done for under 1k?

As an aside the first thing the repair guy said to me was that he doesn't like what VW had done with the NB....says it's too crowded to work on. Maybe just doesn't like working on the New Beetles?

Any thoughts on this price and any recommendations from fellow Ontarians from the East of Toronto area on where to get a VW serviced?

TIA.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Assuming that the shop supplies all the needed parts, that price is a bit outrageous. With parts the job should be under C$1200.

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
get yourself to www.tdiclub.com and ask in the a4 maintenance forum for one of the canadian Members to refer you to a TDI guru in the area.

then head to www.dieselgeek.com and buy one of the 100,000 mile timing belt kits and take this whole kit to the TDI guru that you get referred to.

do not trust a dealership (seems like you got this message). and my guess is do not trust this independant mechanic with such an important maintenance item. if this maintenance gets botched in any way, you will be buying a new motor. big$$$

congratulations on the new (to you) tdi.

and remember, tdiclub is your best friend.

·
Cherchez la coeur...
977 Posts
Growler said:
get yourself to www.tdiclub.com and ask in the a4 maintenance forum for one of the canadian Members to refer you to a TDI guru in the area.

then head to www.dieselgeek.com and buy one of the 100,000 mile timing belt kits and take this whole kit to the TDI guru that you get referred to.

do not trust a dealership (seems like you got this message). and my guess is do not trust this independant mechanic with such an important maintenance item. if this maintenance gets botched in any way, you will be buying a new motor. big$$$

congratulations on the new (to you) tdi.

and remember, tdiclub is your best friend.
What Aaron said.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts