NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loud, obnoxious rattling began under the hood a couple of days ago - no check engine light, no leaks, the car running as beautifully as always. The rattle would ease up after the car warmed up. Heat shield was my first thought? Took it into Christian Brothers Automotive. They found the oil pan shield cracked lengthwise. Not an emergency but needs to be fixed. Cost for diagnosing - $65 Parts - $285 Labor - $120 Add taxes and it's just over $500. Parts have to be ordered from dealership, as no one keeps it on-hand. Is this about the right price? I'm a girl and can't fix it myself and don't know any mechanics. Kinda seems like I'm being raped BUT this auto place has an excellent reputation.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,010 Posts
If its a splash shield, it should just be a piece of plastic, as far as I'm aware. Its also not a necessary part to be in place. Do you have a picture of the part? Seems a bit high of price to replace the splash shield. Its only a few screws holding it on. Unless its a different piece than I'm thinking of.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a steel turtle shell looking thing. 1/4" thick steel. Protects from the right side of the radiator across to engine, if I'm repeating what the mechanic told me earlier this morning. Necessary part but not an emergency to fix. If I were to bottom-out or hit something (I've never done either) it could be bad news.

·
Registered
555 Posts
If i remember right the auto transmission has some kind of metal shield, the manual transmission does not. I have no idea why that is. Seems a bit high in price, the junkyard is full of MK4 auto tranny vw's, so you should be able to find one for less than $50. They would probably even pull it for you. The shop is probably reluctant to put used parts on your car.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,010 Posts
Could you get a part number from it? Lots of good parts sites online that we may be able to track one down cheaper.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Daughters bug is making a rattling and I am researching... Good read: Oil Pan Shield

Part seem reasonable for something new and labor high IMO but overall cost is crazy to me. I would be tempted to see if installing washers would tighten it up if ours is like the one posted since it is just a shield. This looks like a really easy job for a handy guy friend/relative/case of beer thing/gift card type thing even if you have to drive to him. It also appears to be easy to replace too and I am not really a grease monkey. Another option is to get the part (I'd go the pull a part route) and next time you need brakes/tires or something you have them install while on the rack. This is what I plan to do as we need brakes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wow. 4-5 used on ebay for around $30 shipped. Forget pull a part. Saves me a car wash and getting muddy. LOL.

·
phantom302
228 Posts
Heidi is a 2003 2.0 and she lost what I believe is the part you are talking about years ago. I still have it somewhere but it is bent and I never got around to straightening it back out. I even bought all new hardware to re-attach it. I always had a problem with it rattling so I bought a skid pan and the side pieced from diesel geek. they replace the plastic splash shield and the bottom is made from really heavy aluminum. It keeps water from splashing up and also provides the protection that the steel plate did. Hope this information helps you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts