NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere that all the New Beetles are manufactured from the Peubla plant in Mexico. But are there any beetles made elsewhere in the world? How do I check the country of origin?

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
I think that the only bugs NOT made in Mexico are the prototypes, the show cars and the original concepts, even the mighty RSI was assembled in Mexico (by a German/Mexican team)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pulgamovil said:
I think that the only bugs NOT made in Mexico are the prototypes, the show cars and the original concepts, even the mighty RSI was assembled in Mexico (by a German/Mexican team)
My sales kept saying that they import direct from Germany. So I am a little confused whether it is actually assembled in Germany.

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
I also thought taht the RSI was German made, well the RSI serialized road car (250) were made in Puebla with some parts made in the assy line and the rest hand assembled by a MEX/GER team.

Some Bugs made for the Cup series in Europe were assembled of some parts in Germany, but these are not road going cars...hope that clears the confusion...:eek:

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
The NBC's roof assembly is made in Germany by the Wilhelm Karmann Koachwerks in Osnabruck. ;)

-Des

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
The Cheat said:
New Beetles are made in Mexico for our consumption, and Germany for Europeans.
Maybe that was true for the late Mk3 Golf Cabby, but for the NB, all are assembled in Mexico. ;) The Puebla plant is the only one in the world that makes NBs.

-Des

·
Registered
316 Posts
Deserion's right. The reason for this is that the North American market is the main market for the New Beetle, and it wasn't cost-effective for them to assemble them in Germany, too. Hella, the famous European headlight company even has a factory next to the plant--if you look at say my '97 Jetta's tail lights, they say, "Hella Mexico" on them. VW of Mexico assembles VWs to the same standards as the VWs made in Germany. Top Gear or Car (one of those British mags) wrote an article on the plant back in 1998 during the release of the New Beetle. A college friend of mine went to Puebla in 2000 for a junior year foreign studies program through our school, and took a tour of the factory. He snuck his digital camera into the plant. That was when they were still making the classic air-cooled Bug alongside the NB. How much trouble will I get in if I post a couple of pics? Stay tuned...I have to get them off of my ancient Power Mac (pre-iMac) that I had throughout college and get them onto my current computer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts