VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone,

well about a month ago I bought a 2000 Beetle Turbo (used car dealership) and it turned out to be very very messed up, so much in fact that the guy gave me money back for it!! That's the first beetle, Second one I drove 250 miles away to look at, and I don't want to talk about it, lets just say I drove 250 miles for Chinese food...well my wife banned me from buying a beetle after those two, but I was set on it, and wouldn't you know, I found a 02 Turbo S with 121k in very good shape (3rd times a charm) now it has the standard problems indicative to Beetles, but noting major, well one, the dreaded Shift Fork failure, but im not 100% on that yet, I may need to change the Tranny Oil and make some adjustments, I still have 1st so that's good...when I bought it, it had the CEL on, I ran my scanner and I got back P0170/P0303, now I have done my homework on both codes, so this weekend ill be searching for Vac Leaks and checking the MAF, it said P0170 was system was Lean, I have already ordered my Vag-Com for thorough diagnosis, the P0303 im sure will cured with some New Coils (gonna upgrade to the 2.0 coils) long story is I have the rotten egg smell coming from the cat, is that caused possibly by the Lean Condition?, or is it time to replace the Cat?...

also on the hard to get into first gear thing, is that fixed or helped by shifter adjustment/replace tranny oil?

Thanks

Michael

·
5/23/10 <3
11,416 Posts
So what exactly is going on with the transmission? Just tough to get into gear? Or you don't have gears?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its hard to get it into 1st, once its in, it stays, it doesn't grind at all, and it never pops out, every other gear is fine also, if I toy with it at a stop I can usually get it into 1st, but I have to toy with it (i.e run through all the gears, move it a little in 2nd) no grinding or anything like that, it seems every time I try to put it 1st I end up in 3rd, sometimes it will go into 1st, sometimes not

also if you read, whats up with that smell?...cat problems due to the above mentioned code (P0170 system lean)

obviously the tranny issue is more important...just thought Id ask

·
5/23/10 <3
11,416 Posts
Sounds like you just need a linkage adjustment. If the shift fork goes you loose 1st and 2nd gear.

As for the smell I would guess cat but you aren't throwing a code for it. I'd get the code sorted and see what happens.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah I had read that about losing 1st and 2nd, that was in the very long post where the member rebuilt the entire tranny with the DIY steel reinforced shift forks (before the kit came out) and I thought that this was the first symptom, that being 1st is hard to get into...

aslo on the code P0170...are there common cure for this...I read another guide (VW Vortex) about using Vag-Com to real time the data from the MAF to determine its role in the code..is this code usually the result of a leak though (vacuum) ?? or something else also the guy I bought the car from, always and I mean always took this thing to the dealer (every receipt from day one) they told him that it was the gas cap triggering this code, is that BS or not?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
VAGCom/VCDS is helpful, BUT you only need to spend $30 or less for a generic OBDII tool. Need fuel trim and temperature info.

MAF is not usually a factor with lean idle issues.

Read the links in my signature for more info on the OBDII tools and temp info.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,416 Posts
I would start by trying to adjust the shift linkage and throwing some fresh gear oil in. Hopefully that's all it is.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes hopefully so!!!

I have a Generic Reader at work (repoman) that I think can read Livedata to determine Fuel Trim, so I can post it...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok so I managed to find a real nice scanner at work (C-reader I think) and it does show live stream, so here are the values for the fuel trim...I don't really understand it all so please clue me in

this is all at idle

calculated load 2%

short term fuel trim 3.1% 6.3% (no in between just between those two)

long term fuel trim -2.3%

MAF Rate @idle 0.4 LBS

I Repo cars for a living so im not at the shop now, if you need more data, cant do till tomorrow, if needed please tell me what numbers to look for

1 - 9 of 9 Posts