NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

The Mid Atlantic Coastal Beetle Group is having an August Get Together at Marion, North Carolina, August 23-24, 2014, to run Highway 226A (The Diamondback) and Highway 80 (The Devil's Whip) that, co-joined by a section of the Blue Ridge Parkway, is known as The Diamondback Loop.

The plan is to meet at Love's Travel Stop at 11 AM Saturday. After a short meet 'n greet, we'll fuel up at the pumps, food up at the Subway, and head up Hwy 226 to 226A.

Once we're on The Diamondback, it's nonstop Wow until we reach Little Switzerland where we'll cut over to the Blue Ridge Parkway for a picnic stop on the way to the Devil's Whip.

The view from where we'll stop for lunch

Those who survive Hwy 80 will 180 and we'll run it all in reverse, stopping though at Little Switzerland for souvenirs/decals/etc, then 226A downhill all the way.

At that point, those wanting to do another run are welcome to do so, those spending the night in the area may wish to check in to their lodging and we can make dinner plans as well as set a time for the Sunday run(s) for the die hards like me.

I'll add additional information about lodging and eateries later.

Post below if you plan to go!

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

Advisory: Due to the nature of these roads, these runs are *not* recommended for the timid nor the inexperienced. All Beetles should be in a good mechanical state. These are public roads and subject to local traffic and law enforcement.

Hotels in Marion, NC Prices will vary depending on who you use to book the room. Morganton, NC is right down 40 East for more options.

Dining in Marion Not sure what folks will want be here's a partial list.

(for additional info as needed)

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Alas...

We would be there without a second thought.....Except.

We are going to be at the Redbull GRC races in Daytona that weekend. We had thought that their 600hp 4WD Beetles would be competing by now. Alas they aren't but they are supposed to be there on display.

we will post whatever pics we can get.

You folks be careful on Diamondback. That is the only place I have ever been able to get the traction light to come on in Manfred. It came on twice! We did it on a Sunday morning before church let out and there was no traffic. it's 36 miles around the 226 and 226A.

Some say Manfred did it in 38 1/2 minutes.....

If he did, he's not telling or advertising how foolish that was in hindsight! It was fun passing the Corvette uphill in the 4 lane section climbing up to the BRP though! Gotta love that turbo diesel torque.

Chuckie

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We would be there without a second thought.....Except.

We are going to be at the Redbull GRC races in Daytona that weekend. We had thought that their 600hp 4WD Beetles would be competing by now. Alas they aren't but they are supposed to be there on display.

we will post whatever pics we can get.

You folks be careful on Diamondback. That is the only place I have ever been able to get the traction light to come on in Manfred. It came on twice! We did it on a Sunday morning before church let out and there was no traffic. it's 36 miles around the 226 and 226A.

Some say Manfred did it in 38 1/2 minutes.....

If he did, he's not telling or advertising how foolish that was in hindsight! It was fun passing the Corvette uphill in the 4 lane section climbing up to the BRP though! Gotta love that turbo diesel torque.

Chuckie
Wish you could make it but maybe next time. Thanks for the heads up. I've run Diamondback 3xs now and each time had a different seat clenching experience.

The route we're taking initially includes hwy 80 as a loop to 226a instead of 226.

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Jealous I am...

Wish we could do it with you guys. Last time I had Vern's grandson with me and it was fun watching a teenager hold on for his life and scream going down the mountain! Nurse Diesel rode with Vern and she hollered at me at the bottom. We finished a couple minutes before they got there.

Looking back on it, I should have gone a bit slower. I didn't get to see anything at all. The newly paved asphalt was just too tempting for Manfred and running it in sport mode with the paddle shifters was kinda like having an orgasm and being hit by a train at the same time! We wanted to stop at Little Switzerland but we went by it so fast we didn't know until we were past the entrance.

Maybe if I get older I will run that same loop at a tame speed and look around. I miss alot, but sometimes you just have to.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The Route:

We'll roll from 40 along 226 to 226A and make an uphill run crossing over to 80 via the Blue Ridge Parkway. When we get to Tom's Creek Road off 80, we'll 180 and run the route the other way.

This map has a bit more local detail

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
History

If you like a little history with your twisties -

"The name of Marion came from Brigadier General Francis Marion, the American Revolutionary War hero, known as the “Swamp Fox” and the man upon whom the movie "The Patriot" was based. Over the years, Marion was also home to Sgt. Daniel Kanipe, one of only two survivors of General Custer's 7th Cavalry that was massacred at the Battle of Little Bighorn. An historical marker was placed in front of his former home in 2011. The nearby Lake James is a popular local and tourist attraction, and has been the backdrop for movies such as The Last of the Mohicans and The Hunt for Red October." - Wikipedia

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you want to see what you're getting into, here's a video of a Miata going up 226A.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Event Postponed!

The Crack the Whip, Slay the Serpent GTG scheduled for this coming Saturday in Marion, NC (Highways 226A and 80) has been postponed due to over half of the attendees having to drop out for various reasons. The event may be rescheduled possibly for September or October. If there are any questions, please send me a PM or post to this thread. Gringo and Shiva may still run the route this weekend.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts