NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. We bought my wife a 2001 NB GLS 2.0 a couple of weeks ago. Got a screemin deal on it but knew it needed some work. It had a rattling sound from the exhaust that was determined to be the cat. So we had it replaced. We put in a universal Magnaflow cat. To this point the check engine light had not been on at all. As soon as she left the shop the CE light came on. She went back into the shop and they said it has a cracked exhaust manifold and MAF sensor was the error. Is this typical of these cars?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Maf problems are common. Why didnt they notice the cracked exhaust manifold when they did the cat? If it was cracked then it would be leaking and you would hear it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We wondered why they didn't see it while they were working on it either. The only noise we heard seemed to be the cat. Do the manifolds crack easily? I have read they are cast iron. Is that right?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got a great deal on my daughters bug because of a cracked exhaust manifold. It was easy to get off and was welded at a local muffler shop. Did valve cover gasket at the same time. Also found a torn cv boot so the pass. side axle was replaced. The cracked exhaust manifold killed the O2 sensors, so both were replaced. All easy jobs for the most part. Upper intake manifold bolts were hard to find, but easy to get out. I also changed the plugs and wires while it was apart. Car runs great now.....

Rod

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welded at a local shop? So you had it welded to fix it and didn't replace it? I am planning on doing the trans fluid change so I will already be down there and was thinking of replacing at the same time, but if it can be welded for a repair, that might be teh ticket.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, mine was removed and welded. Working like a champ. Not saying replacement wouldn't have been better, but my girl is 16 and needs it to get her to school and back for 2 years. I am in the process of timing belt/water pump. While i did the exhaust manifold, I changed the valve cover, upper to lower intake manifold, exhaust manifold gasket, plugs and wires. I also replaced the exhaust manifold studs that came out easily and the studs from the manifold to the down pipe. I think that was all. Let me know if u have questions.

Good luck.

Rstandi

1 - 6 of 6 Posts