NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new to me 2006 beetle and when I bought it a month ago, there was one small crack below the door handle on the passenger side. Now there is a crack above and blow the door handles on both doors. Is this normal? If I replace the door panels, will they just crack again? What should I do? I have an after market bumper to bumper warranty, but I am not sure if they would cover this or not.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,914 Posts
Maybe take a picture so we can better see what you are talking about.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, finally got the pictures. I didn't realize I had so much dirt in the cracks until I saw the zoomed in pictures on the computer. Anyways, here are the pictures of the cracks. There is one each above and below each handle.

·
Wanna Walnetto young lady
178 Posts
I haven't noticed any on mine, but I'll take a closer look, and see if there are any. I just wonder why they would crack?:confused:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Common problem with these cheaply made door panels, surprised both your door handles aren't broken off, and that you're not having door electronics problems. Once replaced/repaired, and as a word of warning to all, STOP CLOSING THE DOORS SO HARD! - Properly aligned, lubricated, and operating doors and door latches will close with great ease!

I have this problem with family members on my personal vehicles, and employees on my company vehicles, EVERYONE wants to pull the door closed HARD, when getting in, and SLAM the doors when getting out. Parts today, especially all the electronics in the doors, are not capable of taking this type of abuse.

MORAV

·
Wanna Walnetto young lady
178 Posts
I took a good close look at mine today, and no form of cracks anywhere. Mine's a 2001, so you would think at 10 years old there would be something, but nada.:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
My passenger door had cracked and broken behind the top of the handle, so when a passenger pulled on the handle, it would separate from the door.

I was able to fix by drilling a small hole behind the cover that pops off, drilling a small hole and using a zip tie and epoxy. I had to cut a notch out of the cover so it would slide all the way back on.

The ugliness is hidden by the handle cover, so I'm happy. I think it will hold for good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have them too

I have a crack on my handle/panel in the same area as well. I didn't notice it when I bought the car but noticed it somewhat recently. I guess its a common problem? I don't have any solutions, but I'm coping with you :p

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I have looked at this problem more closely since my earlier post, in trying to come up with a fix when the handle is broken off entirely. Haven't come up with a resolve for that yet. But, if the handle hasn't broken of entirely, I believe I have a fix that may work and not be to unsightly, but will require extreme care in performing. I have to have another look, with the handle cover off to confirm that it can be done, and will post up here when I have looked at it.

If someone can supply me a shot of the door "bare door", with the panel off, up close and in this same general area it will help, as I don't want to remove mine. Every time you remove a panel, you weaken the attachment hardware, and run the risk of breaking something.

MORAV

1 - 13 of 13 Posts