NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have dissasembled a 2.0 beetle engine, could you please tell me if the crank bearings are lubricated from the crank rotation itself from the oil fluid level in the pan, or is there an oil pick up tube that squirts oil on the bearing journals to provide the protection.

Two years ago I sold my 1998 Beetle to my brothers wife as a second car for them. About a month ago I was lucky enough to be able to buy the car back from her and when I checked the oil it was barely showing any at the end of the dip stick.

I added 1 1/2 qts. and it brought the oil level about half way up into the safe zone. I was very concerned about possible crank bearing damage.

The car runs and idles like a new car and has plenty of power so I do not think it hurt the engine, but you never know. My wife and I bought the car from a Pontiac dealer in 1998 and has stayed in the family ever since. I always made sure the car was maintained 100%.

Thanks so much in advance for your help and information.

All the best,

RED 98 BEETLE

·
Registered
512 Posts
As far as I know the oil level in the pan is lower than the pan gasket so the crankshaft cannot be soaked in the oil. From another aspect the lubrication is actually pressure lubrication which means there must be sufficient oil pressure to protect the engine. If soaked there won't be any oil pressure. I think you shouldn't use the term "squirt" but "shoot" instead.

In order for the engine to have sufficient protection, there are 2 conditions needs to be met. First is the oil pump must be working properly and producing sufficient oil pressure. The other is the oil level IN THE SAFE ZONE. As long as the oil level in the zone there won't be any problem.

For those of you who have dissasembled a 2.0 beetle engine, could you please tell me if the crank bearings are lubricated from the crank rotation itself from the oil fluid level in the pan, or is there an oil pick up tube that squirts oil on the bearing journals to provide the protection.

Two years ago I sold my 1998 Beetle to my brothers wife as a second car for them. About a month ago I was lucky enough to be able to buy the car back from her and when I checked the oil it was barely showing any at the end of the dip stick.

I added 1 1/2 qts. and it brought the oil level about half way up into the safe zone. I was very concerned about possible crank bearing damage.

The car runs and idles like a new car and has plenty of power so I do not think it hurt the engine, but you never know. My wife and I bought the car from a Pontiac dealer in 1998 and has stayed in the family ever since. I always made sure the car was maintained 100%.

Thanks so much in advance for your help and information.

All the best,

RED 98 BEETLE

1 - 2 of 2 Posts