NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a crank but no start situation with my 98 automatic 2 liter.

To preface, I've done some repairs already. I've
Replaced fuel filter
Replaced fuel pump
Replaced starter
Replaced fuel pressure regulator
Replaced the part of the fuel line that attached directly to the engine
Checked relays and fuses

The spark plugs are only like 2 years old, as is the radiator. I don't have a check engine light, my battery and alternator work. At this point, I'm not sure what else to do. I had delay when I pressed the gas pedal for some time, but one day it just wouldn't start. It would jolt a little bit once the gas got to where it needed to go. My boyfriend and I have been doing all of the work ourselves, neither of us are trained mechanics but we've both worked on cars with our dads since we were kids. We did have his dad come and look at it, but he's not certain either. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. I can hook up the tester and see if I get any codes even though I don't have a check engine light if somebody thinks that's helpful.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Did you check if there was spark? A bad camshaft sensor could happen overnight and never sending the spark signal.

·
Registered
36 Posts
A bad crank position sensor can worsen the way the engine idles, or the acceleration behaviour. If the engine is revved up with a bad or faulty sensor, it may cause misfiring, motor vibration or backfires. Acceleration might be hesitant, and abnormal shaking during engine idle might occur.
Might point at your slow acceleration too?

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
As noted above: spark, fuel pressure and compression, are the basics needed for a engine to run. Have you scanned for trouble codes and checked for spark, fuel pressure and good compression? Let us know, the history of the car (e.g. when was the last time it ran; what changes have you made since then, etc.) and report back, any testing results, trouble codes you find and we can go from there. Thanks.

·
Registered
752 Posts
A scan tool is a great investment. I have a cheap, sub $20, WiFi unit I use with my iPhone and a free app. Since the app is free, it doesn't do much beyond the essentials. It allows me to read any error codes that are stored. That's how I started diagnosing the flashing check engine light on ours a few years ago. Error code it threw said misfire on a cylinder or two. Checked the coil and the case was cracked. Another time it diagnosed a failed engine coolant sensor (causing a hard start condition).

Harsh, but true: With as much money as you've thrown at this car in parts alone, you could have even bought a VW specific scan tool.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've seen several issues with the timing belt. Tends to chew the teeth out when starting. I bought one once that the girl drove to a friends house, came out 10 minutes later and it wound not start. Luckily, 3 that I have had with that issue did not bend valves. Pawsaremagic made a great point, takes a minute or two to pull the upper timing cover and ck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts