NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there any mechanical valve in the breather/valve assembly? Can someone summarize how the breather/valve works with the PCV heater element? Does the PCV heater element operate as a PCV valve - or only to heat the vapors when cold? How do you test these two items?

UPDATE and More Questions: I'm still confused on this unique set-up VW uses. The crankcase breather that sits on the valve cover seems to only be a connection from the valve cover to the PCV/heater. It does not seem to have any sort of vacumm pressure valve or one-way valve - so if anything it's only benefit may be to keep oil from splashing directly into the PCV/HEater hose? What would the reason be to replace the Crankcase breather - is there any internal function that might not work correctly - or is it fine as long as it is not cracked allowing an external leak?

Now for the PCV/Heater assebmly on the air intake hose leaading from the air filter to the throttle body. There seems to be a lot of confusion on what this is and what it does. Does it operate on vacuum pressure like a typical PCV valve? Is there a one way valve or vacuum pressure valve? I can find several parts when serching for 2000 beetle 2.0 PCV pr PCV heater element - but none that look like the picture. I also find threads that state there is no PCV. I'm used to standard PCVs that you pull out of valve cover and replace. I can't beleive I am wasting this much time and energy trying to figure out how this works and what exactly I may need to replace.

Thanks for the pic and the testing details below - but does that test the PCV function - or just the function of the heating element?

Thanks,

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
It heats the air up when it is cold. It is not mechanical, it works more like a sensor. The yellow circle in the picture shows you PCV valve.

To test the PCV valve put a volt meter to pins 1 and 2 and the ohms should read 25-35 for a cold engine.

To check the wiring harness, using the volt meter; touch pin one with read lead and touch the black lead to ground. You should get 12-13 volts.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Did you attach a picture? I don'tsee it for some reason.

Update: see it now. Thanks. Does anyone have a part number for the PCV? It seems like this is fused into the air intake hose - is that true? I didn't want to twist and break it to get a closer look.

When I open the oil cap at idle, you can see some smoke pushing out - is that normal?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts