NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Semi-Lurk Mode: GOOOOO
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personally, I'm all for the legalization of pot even though I would never smoke it.

BUT... my brother left his Myspace up this morning when he left for school, and I just happened to browse through his inbox. He's 14 and a bit of a trouble maker... but it's hit a new low.

I found out that he is now in possesion of about half a pound of weed. And he is planning to distribute.

Ugh. Now I don't know what to do... If I confront him about it, he'll be SUPER pissed because I read his messages. If I go to my parents, I'll be a narc... and he'll be SUPER pissed.

But if I do nothing, then I'll have a guilty conscience because my brother is smoking pot, which I am NOT okay with.

Holy crap does that suck to type out. My brother is smoking pot. And regular cigarettes, too.

:( What would you guys do?

·
Super Moderator
14,746 Posts
This is a dilemma for Dear Abby.

I have the same view about marijuana as you. But unfortunatley, it is still illegal. :rolleyes:

"Where does a 14yo get that much weed?" would be MY first question!

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Go through his stuff; find it and remove it from his possession?

That'd be my suggestion.

What's he gonna do, TELL SOMEONE?? :p

That said, that's ALOT of money. A 14 year old probably shouldn't be able to get that much together.

There could be consequences. (Maybe it wasn't all HIS money in the first place?)

But really... you should probably just come clean, and tell your parents. That's the "best outcome" that can happen.
If he gets found out, maybe that'll flip a switch to clean him up. Maybe he'll hide it better next time.

Whatever, you're a family, and you have to do what's right for eachother, even if you don't like it.

·
Write it like it's hot!
2,556 Posts
They know where-- just as I did at that age. :eek:

Smoking it is one thing-- distributing is the bigger, looking at big trouble if caught, concern.

I'd confront his boney little arse. But that's just me.

I know, in my case, I was seriously waiting for someone to care enough to kick my arse.:(

·
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Go through his stuff; find it and remove it from his possession?

That'd be my suggestion.

What's he gonna do, TELL SOMEONE?? :p

That said, that's ALOT of money. A 14 year old probably shouldn't be able to get that much together.
I did a quick run through of his room when I read it, and I couldn't find it, which REALLY worries me. What if it's hidden in my stuff? That's TOTALLY something he would do, BTW.

And I agree on the amount of money concern, but he's really a stickler about getting paid for what he does around the house... things I was never paid for. However, he did say something in one of the messages about getting some Basic cigs for his friend's party... and my dad smokes Basic.

Damn damn DAMN. I REALLY don't know what to do. I'm thinking about going to him and just saying "Throw it out or mom and dad will."

I'm almost 100% certain my dad would literally kick his ass if he finds out.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
As well they SHOULD.

Dunno how to explain it; but ... that's ALOT of illegal substance.

He needs and deserves to feel some consequences. He's way too young to be dealing, and if someone doesn't act now; it'll only go one direction.

·
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As well they SHOULD.

Dunno how to explain it; but ... that's ALOT of illegal substance.

He needs and deserves to feel some consequences. He's way too young to be dealing, and if someone doesn't act now; it'll only go one direction.
Agreed. My dad learns of this TONIGHT when I get home from work. We'll see what happens.

Out of curiosity, about what volume should half a pound occupy? I need to know where to look in the house for it, because I'm 100000% sure he will deny possession. I really have no idea about drugs or anything. Never felt the need to learn.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
half a mailbox? half a breadbox?

Ooo I know. Enough to fill your center armrest FULL. with a lil' left over. (assuming you have the same center dash as me, flip top lid; no room for a cd changer in there.) Hrm, maybe more. (it's been so long since I saw my arm rest)

Probably in a ziploc bag or 8 sandwich bags.

Valued somewhere between 400$ and 800$.

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,311 Posts
Can you get on his myspace again?
I would fwd those messages to myself this way if he HAS hidden the stuff in your stuff you have proof that it was his and not yours and then I would confront him.

·
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you get on his myspace again?
I would fwd those messages to myself this way if he HAS hidden the stuff in your stuff you have proof that it was his and not yours and then I would confront him.
Not from work, but yes. I'll forward them when I get home... I may go home for lunch just for the purpose.

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
Well, I can tell you that this isn't pretty. My older bro is refusing rehab, but he shocked us all by joining NA (Narcotics Anonymous). He is officially clean for two months and it has helped him quite a bit. Surprisingly, his predrug personality is coming back and we are all excited for him to get his life back on track.

It hasn't been easy by any means, but the difference between him now and him three months ago is night and day.

I believe what you are doing is going to be the best choice to help your brother out. He may hate you now but he will love you in the long run and you won't have that feeling of guilt that you described.

·
Probably MIA
2,800 Posts
Dad knows now, and will be home in about an hour (was on a fishing trip)...

Maybe I'll be an only child when I get home?
Good to hear. You did the right thing. Things may be rocky for awhile...but that is far better than the possible outcomes if you had left it alone.

Good luck.

·
33 &#8531;
15,621 Posts
I smoked pot since I was about seven, stopped when I was about twenty one. Never really bad; just when it was around. And I never paid for it. It was always free to me (the advantage of having the house with no parents at home, ever).

I think it should be legal, and just like cigarettes, you have to be over a certain age to get it. It should be taxed.

I don't smoke it now, and wouldn't. But I think it's stupid to have it illegal. Having said all that. I think kids should not smoke it. I know. Sounds a bit hypercritical, but I'm older and smarter now.

Will your brother stop? No. Will he learn his lesson? No. Not until he grows a brain on it; sometimes that won't happen until a hard lesson is learned.

My wife has a step brother (18) who is smoking dope and dealing it. His mother is so naive on it, that when she found the paraphernalia and all, and he said it was 'someone else's' she believed him. When I lived near them, I could easily tell when he was stoned, and he reeked of the stuff. But he won't learn, and she is not helping. I just hope his younger sister won't go down that path.

Hope it works out for the best.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I think you did the right thing. Your parents need to know and know now. If your brother is dealing, depending on the laws of your state, it is possible that your parents could lose their home to the state. I know that the state of Texas can do that. There is no distinction about who owns and who deals.

1/2 a pound is a lot and again, depending on your state, being 14 could put him in the big pokey as opposed to juvi. He's 14 and doesn't think about the consequences. Now is the time to get him help. I really hope he does get the help and soon.

When I was younger, I didn't think pot should be illegal. I have a totally different view of it now for my own reasons but I would pose this question - do you want your doctor to be stoned while performing surgery on you or a loved one? Something to think about. If it were legal, then that very thing could happen.

·
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you want your doctor to be stoned while performing surgery on you or a loved one? Something to think about. If it were legal, then that very thing could happen.
No, but at the same time, I wouldn't want them drunk, either, and that's completely legal. Immoral for them to show up drunk, yes, but technically illegal, no.

I'm with the Rev on this one. Put an age limit, tax it just like all the other Sin Tax items, and basically treat it like alcohol (DUI laws, regulations at workplaces, etc).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts