NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Aimee M.
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would love to customize Sagra on the outside so he looks different from every other Gecko Green beetlebug out there. I would like to please have some advice, pointers, and the participation of the online community to bounce ideas off of you.

I'm browsing the forums a lot, but I'm an instant gratification sort of person, so if gets me some direct ideas and feedback, all the better! :D

My favorite frog is a red-eyed tree frog. It is instantly recognizable and has a coloring that is distinctly unique: a light lime green frog with yellow-biege belly, bright blue sides striped with yellow, orange feet and red slitted eyes. You can do an image search on google and get TONS of adorable colorful photos.

My ideas so far for Sagra:

I love the look of retro wheels (oh my GOSH a 2012 turned in front of me the other day, and I didn't realize it was a Beetle at first- I was too stunned by those wheels! anyway...). Maybe I could have some wheels like that with orange to be froggy feet?

Is there a way to take apart the headlights and make them red, without affecting nighttime visibility or having the light show red at night?

I would love to have some sort of magic hologram-y effect along the sides of the car so that when the sun shone you could see the sort of blue and yellow stripes of a red-eyed tree frog, but it wouldn't be blazingly obvious until you got at the right sun angle. Kind of like a chromaflair looks silver at first, and THEN you see the wonderful color of it. How could something like that be achieved? Would it have to be painted on, or could some sort of vinyl or sticker achieve that effect?

I think that's it for now. What do you all think?

·
Aimee M.
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was bored, so I traced and colored what it might look like.
The first one has biege all along the bottom, but I don't think I like it that way, so the side view has creamy running boards only.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
Your Sagra logo is perfect for a couple options:

1. A Herbie motif. instead of the Round "53", insert your sagra logo instead. The Herbie striping could incorporate the other colors of the frog in your pohtobucket pic- yellows, orange, or even a deeper green.

2. incorporate your Sagra logo in a lower rocker panel striping, like the "TRB" striping.

I hope you don't mind, but I played with your logo a bit and did a rough rendition for ya.

Attachments

·
Aimee M.
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Wow Al! Of course I don't mind. I actually love seeing people put their awesome skills to use in Photoshop and all that, and actually being able to see it for MY OWN Beetle (squee!!)? That's just sublime!

I never really thought I'd say this, but I don't particularly care for the lime green mixed with Sagra's olivey color, though. The actual stripe looks decent, I like having an actual visual reference for it :) (EDIT: just went back and read the part where you suggested other colors for the stripe, doh)

BUT, I had a dream this morning while I was trying to avoid actual wakefulness and cuddling my soft warm limp Jack Russel.

After all the coloring yesterday, the whole-car-as-a-frog idea is out. It just looks odd and like a smattering of different design components shoved together. I suppose that makes this thread useless in that regard.

My idea was- since frog beetles have such gorgeous iridescent colorings, why not take that design element for my own? I always loved the "rainbow" beads in my collection- beads which might have an underlying base color, but they are finished with that beautiful oil-slick swirl of colors. Using them, I wouldn't have to worry about trying to coordinate with that strange pale metallic olivey color that is Gecko Green. It was really stumping me, to be honest. Yes, it's green, but grr.

So, I can just cover the seats in a black to go ahead and keep the interior coloring scheme- probably not a solid black, but like my grandmother would do, something with the barest coloring or something subtle to make it more interesting than a flat black. Then, I can use the rainbow beads to embroider frogs, edge seams, or anything I want. There are even fabrics called Batiks that maybe I could use (although I like the idea of actual shiny beads better)- they are like tie-dyes in almost any color combination and pattern you could think of.

Having this morning dream reminded me of a thread I started back when I was lurking Beetle-less on these forums. I can't believe it's been over three years! I finally have a Beetle!

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
I think that's the beauty of the concept I cooked up. It doesn't transform your beetle to a frog, i.e. the Pokemon beetle, or a ladybug beetle (tons of black dots). The sagra icon with the stripes gives your bug a nice sporty touch, and your sagra logo, gives the viewer a hint of knowing that your bug is frog themed, without going over the top.

Cooking up another color variation.

...working

Here ya go- version 2

Attachments

·
Aimee M.
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ooh! I like the drawing with contrast-colored toes and such, that makes a world of difference. I think the antenna and beetle wings might do well in a third color? I'd have to make them the swirly rainbow effect though, if it were a real metal emblem.

I'm not in love with the low side stripe I guess. I wonder if want stripes at all. They are really.... straight.

I saw a Gecko Green Beetle pss my bus yesterday in Denver where I was parked during a field trip. I knew my husband was in Denver with it SOMEwhere for training. Alas, it was not him and Sagra.

·
Beetle gone bye bye.
482 Posts
Aimee, I will be sending your vase tomorrow via UPS. I hope it makes it there this time. Sorry it is taking so long, crazy busy this week, but I am off tomorrow so I will get it sent.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
I think that's the beauty of the concept I cooked up. It doesn't transform your beetle to a frog, i.e. the Pokemon beetle, or a ladybug beetle (tons of black dots). The sagra icon with the stripes gives your bug a nice sporty touch, and your sagra logo, gives the viewer a hint of knowing that your bug is frog themed, without going over the top.

Cooking up another color variation.

...working

Here ya go- version 2
A fantastic design Al!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Aimee M.
50 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but it is still relevant to me.

I think I know what I want to do with Sagra to make him gorgeous and 100% completely MINE.
It may never actually happen...BUT- imagine this.

Gecko green car looks mostly normal on the outside. On the back hatch below the VW badge, there is Sagra's custom emblem (where the rivets are).
The car has old-style wheels with color-matched steel and the shiny center caps. The green part os the wheels might instead be a sparkly sort of opal rust-brown. I say opal because I think that is like a chromaflair paint, where it shines irridescent with other colors over the main color.

Inside, Sagra's boring stark black interior has been completely changed. It is now a warm inviting brown, with sparkly beaded accents all over- in random places you can find both tiny beaded frogs and frog beetles climbing about.
The interior in general would probably go from lightest at the top, to darkest on the bottom, so the black carpet (and my new Monster Mat presents) might be the only black that stays.

The beads would mostly be silver-lined rust color, and variations of opal-coated colors- especially the true dark rainbow, and opalized greens, blues and reds like frog beetles.

I think it would be so pretty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts