NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Critique my future mods! (Updated With New Pics!) 56K Warning

Rather than start a whole new thread, I'm editing this one!

I had an internship over the summer at a graphic design studio that did almsot nothing except touch up cars for posters, so I applied what I leared to my NB! We were able to make pictures taken outside on a sunny day into what looked like studio shots, so I used this as a background for some mod concept work. I've removed reflections, color corrected, and cut out the car.

The Side View
I've made a couple decisions on this part of the car, an Enfig S2000 style antenna and new base, clear front corners, and the dual stripe. Right now, I'm trying to hunt down a light but attractive wheel, and I'm trying out some rocker panel protectors and rock guards. I'm tired of leaving black scuff marks from my work shows on my rocker panel, so I found this cover for it, and plan on painting it the same dark green as the stripes. An alernative is to paint the whole panel green.

Stock: (Except for the spoiler)

New: ( With lightweight Falken Hanabi Wheels )

I'm going to go with red/clear stock tails and the rear fog as noted before. The big thing right now is deciding on some wheels, and the panel guards. Wheels are as follows(Whichever I choose, I'm buying in 18"):

Replica RS4(VERY Heavy)

Borbet Type CA(A little lighter)

And the Falkens pictured above. The RS4s look the best, but are 10 lbs heavier than stock wheels, while the Falkens are 2 lbs lighter. What does everyone think?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
RS4 wheels, I like.

The tails... I'm not a fan of the chrome, and the black just doesn't jive well for me. I WANT to like the black tails most. I think you need to do something to tie it in. Maybe a black spoiler or some black vinyl graphic work. (or maybe paint the black cybergreen?)

And I'm sorry... I don't like the pin striping at all. The 3rd idea had a nice flair; but not enough to make me like the striping.

I dig the eurobadges; and I dunno 'bout the honda antenna. I don't think it's really much of an improvement. But that's my personal taste.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
PhoenixRising said:
I had the HONDA antenna on my Bug, and the reception greatly improved. And it looked better, IMHO.

I like the pin stripe with the VW logo.

But what I really dug was your photo shop skills. Good job!

Let us know what you do!
yeah, your photoshop skills are GREAT! great way to see what mods will look like on your car. mods are such a personal choice, but the ones you've done are subtle and i like those the best!

good luck with your project!:D

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tails... I'm not a fan of the chrome, and the black just doesn't jive well for me. I WANT to like the black tails most. I think you need to do something to tie it in. Maybe a black spoiler or some black vinyl graphic work. (or maybe paint the black cybergreen?)
I agree with you on the tails, they looked really nice on whomever it is who ahs the Shrek 2 bug, but they don't really work well. The stock tails with clear turn signals would probably look best with the clear corners.

I found someone selling the S2000 antenna on craigslist not far from my house, and for way cheaper than anyplace online, so I'll be getting that soon. The new wheels will probably happen in the spring, hopefully I'll get the Euro badges for Christmas :D. Maybe I can get the clear corners fairly soon too. I'll start looking for a place online that I can get some custom vyinl stripes made, hopefully that won't be too expenseive. I'm also thinking about getting a bra for the fairly nasty winters we get here, and a long way down the road, getting the rest of the ATS kit.

Also, how much of a difference do 17" wheels make? I've heard 18"s make the ride a bit bumpier, but 17"s aren't going to look much larger than 16"s.

The photoshop stuff I did isn't all that hard(except taking out reflections), it takes alot of practice though.
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
I recently went from 16's to 17's...

The ride is a little rougher, a smidge, but nothing dramatic. If you're changing rims, I'd go ahead and +1. 18's look real nice, but I don't like the additional tire cost & weight associated. 17's are very common and there's plenty of tire options keeping the costs down.

I agree, 17's won't make a huge difference... but it's a step in that direction... you just gotta decide if that's a direction you want to go I suppose.

Shrek2 has a black cover over his convertible top I believe, and maybe even a black top? That could be why it looks better there.

·
Thomas
361 Posts
I like the dual stripes, the Honda antenna, clear corners, and the RS4 wheels. The tail lights just don't go all that well with your car, and I've never been a fan of euro emblems.

As far as going with 17's or 18's there are two factors to consider, cost and comfort. If you want to keep cost down and have no fear of bumpy roads, then go with the 17's. 18's look better, but the cost of tires is a bit more and your ride suffers a bit more (nothing harsh though IMO).

Good luck!:)

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
I like the RS4's for the rims, and the S2000 antenna is good

A 2.0L badge would look bad in that location, plus the engine is nothing to brag about anyway (take it from one who knows)

Euro emblems and rear clearcorners do not suit this car, I considered both at one time.

Not feeling the stripes, but if you like em, do it! :)

Euro tails are a must, especially on a cyber green, eliminate all orange lenses!

And finally for the rear fog, do it, it is a great mod. I drove around with mine for 3 months before even wiring it to work, got a lot of positive comments on it.

Hope this helps!

SMG

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
SMG said:
A 2.0L badge would look bad in that location, plus the engine is nothing to brag about anyway (take it from one who knows)

SMG
Heyyyy! I have a 2.0 badge on my hatch. Whatchoosayin punk?:p

I am proud to drive a 2.0. I'm for it. I wasn't able to have a nice sport, turbo, or tdi badge. i had to go with what was correct for my model. I like the badge idea. I also like the pinstriping with the logo in it.

sorry smg :D

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SMG said:
Euro tails are a must, especially on a cyber green, eliminate all orange lenses!

And finally for the rear fog, do it, it is a great mod. I drove around with mine for 3 months before even wiring it to work, got a lot of positive comments on it.
SMG
I'm wondering if I can open up the stock tails and remove the amber lens so I don't have to but new tails. Is this possible?
How hard is it to wire up the rear fog?

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
heyou said:
Also, how much of a difference do 17" wheels make? I've heard 18"s make the ride a bit bumpier, but 17"s aren't going to look much larger than 16"s.

QUOTE]

I have 19's on both of my New Beetles, and I really don't notice that much of a rougher ride, but the car sure handles a lot better.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
FineExampl said:
Heyyyy! I have a 2.0 badge on my hatch. Whatchoosayin punk?:p
No, I didn't mean anything against the 2.0, but badging under the blinker would be nasty!

heyou said:
I'm wondering if I can open up the stock tails and remove the amber lens so I don't have to but new tails. Is this possible?
How hard is it to wire up the rear fog?
Just buy the euro tails. I tried to do it the ghetto way, and it took 3 hours to do just one, and it took half a pack of dremel wheels and a tube of epoxy.

It never looked right anyway, when you had the blinker on, it looked just like a bulb lighting up.

For the amount that your car is worth, splurge on good looking stuff, rather than giving the appearance that the car is ghetto.

Just my 2c..

SMG

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm going to splurge big time on wheels, I emailed tirerack.com about weight on 18" Borbet Type CAs, they don't list one. The 18" RS4s weigh 30lbs, which may be too heavy, I want something either stock weight or lighter. Still haven't found a weight for stock steelies.

Also, about the taillights: I only asked that because the only ebay seller that I can find has a fair a mount of "Did not send item/wrong item" feedback.

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
heyou said:
Also, about the taillights: I only asked that because the only ebay seller that I can find has a fair a mount of "Did not send item/wrong item" feedback.
Sounds like you might have come across Cosmodynamic or K2Motor. Yeah, they screwed me on my tails.
On another note, TVA has euro tails and they have G2 tails for about $100. That's really not too bad. I'm considering the G2s for myself. Not sure yet though. I'd rather get a wing first.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Updated the first post and removed redudant posts. Lots of changes, and fewer and smaller pics.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts