VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Where is home ....
11,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: On Zoomers rear bumper the clear coat or the paint seems to be crosshatching itself. It is rough to the touch and ... they are really fine 'cuts' or scratches. I WILL post a picture tomorrow of the etchings. 0_o ... but, has anyone else experienced this? If so, what caused it? And, it is under warranty?

Thank ya!

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
digitalputty said:
:confused: On Zoomers rear bumper the clear coat or the paint seems to be crosshatching itself. It is rough to the touch and ... they are really fine 'cuts' or scratches. I WILL post a picture tomorrow of the etchings. 0_o ... but, has anyone else experienced this? If so, what caused it? And, it is under warranty?

Thank ya!
does it look like eggshells?

If it does then it is called crazing and happens when the paint is layed on too thick and as it ages it shrinks.. however this only happens with really really cheap paints like you might find in a $99 paint job.

It can also be caused from someone tapping your rear bumper with thier car.. all though that usually is more of a physical cracking.

If it looks like a tight weaved screen then it is most likely the scratch marks left from sandpaper showing thru after the paint has finished shrinking... this is also caused from thick, cheap ass paint (which Earl Scheib loves because it hides thier super course sandpaper marks and other blemishes) ... either way, with out seeing the pic it sounds like you had a cheap repaint on the rear bumper... :(

·
Where is home ....
11,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I only use the touchless car washes ... and, I have never had my bumper repainted. :( It looks like ... hatching on a screen. I WILL post a pic later today (gotta go to work now tho). :(

·
Where is home ....
11,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A new 'development' ...

I noticed this morning that the area was wet from morning dew. And, on the other side (mirrored) of the car .. it was wet there as well. 0_o ... so, perhaps the water is causing it? Kinda like ... the water is getting under the clear coat causing the paint to etch? 0_o. Either that ... or, it is related to the fact that someone (either the dealer or the tire place) jacked up my car incorrectly and somehow 'weakened' the paint/clearcoat? *sigh* ... my poor Zoomer is getting older. And, as he ages more blemishes occur/appear.

I will still post a pic 2nite.

·
Car has another home
111 Posts
I have only seen that on a repair job gone bad after time.

Did you buy the car new? Was it a demo car?

Factory car finishes are so good now, thats why I'm think'n repair job gone bad.

·
Where is home ....
11,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup. Zoomer was bought new. I went to the dealer before they even had him and took delivery a few days after they recieved him. So, no one has ever repainted the bumper ... unless someone hurt Zoomer before I took delivery and they repainted the bumper. 0_o

My fiance says it looks as tho the clear coat didnt take to the paint. :( And, I dont really want to get Zoomer 'repainted' since ... the repaint wouldn't be as good as factory. :( Dang it. :(

·
Where is home ....
11,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi there folks.

Looks as tho there wont be a pic 2day/2nite ... my fiance left the batteries out of his camera & I dont know where he put them. *ARGH* ... I am getting very frustrated. *RAGE*

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
digitalputty said:
My fiance says it looks as tho the clear coat didnt take to the paint. :( And, I dont really want to get Zoomer 'repainted' since ... the repaint wouldn't be as good as factory. :( Dang it. :(
I wouldn't be so worried about that. A repaint of the bumper has got to be better than what you have now.

About a year after I got Hopper, one of his fenders was keyed. Only about a 2 inch gash, but it sucked. I was bummed too, cause I hated the idea of a non-factory paint job.

Four years later, and you still can't tell the difference between where they painted, and what was factory. :)

I hope Zoomer gets fixed! Have you shown this to the dealership? You'd think something like that should be fixed under warranty.

·
Where is home ....
11,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I havent shown it to the dealer yet. Ive been there so many times for stuff. Not that it is their fault ... but, I was there for a MAF ... then my turbo fluttering ... then they ordered me a new turbo (about two months ago I havent heard back yet) ... and then when the rocker panel was dented I went there and accused them of damaging it (which I dont know if they did now) ... and so, I just dont want to become that 'bad person'. I know they are there to help me ... and blah blah but ... I dont want them to start hating me! LOL! Maybe I will go there later this week (Friday) ... and also see about my new turbo. Which is weird still. :\

Zoomer has been a wonderful NB. I figure that anything that goes wrong is under warranty (until 50k miles) ... all this physical appearance stuff is getting to me. Scratches, a door ding, the blemished caused by the Toyota that literally parked ON MY BUMPER ... caused scratches ... the self inflicted wheel scratches that just look hideous. :( I feel as tho I am one of the 'bad beetle owners' that I see driving down the road with their front lower grill thing gone ... or their rocker panels smashed. :( *sigh* ...

Sorry for the rant ... It's been one of those days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts