NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought a 2000 beetle gls question is when the cruise control is switched on is there a light on the dash I have a 2002 jetta tdi that has a light when turned on.I know about the brake light switch.have not changed.I hate to start changing parts not knowing.Wife loves the car parked a lexus,can't get her out of it.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
bought a 2000 beetle gls question is when the cruise control is switched on is there a light on the dash I have a 2002 jetta tdi that has a light when turned on.I know about the brake light switch.have not changed.I hate to start changing parts not knowing.Wife loves the car parked a lexus,can't get her out of it.
My '99 doesn't have any kind of an indicator light for the cruise control. Is the cruise control itself not working? It isn't clear from your post. One time my cruise control stopped working after the battery had died. I had to do the whats known as "throttle body alignment" to get it to work again. Here is the thread about it:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questio...etle/48229-cruise-control-problem-solved.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply.cruise control isn't working.You are talking greek to me.I'm guessing you're not talking about a obd II scan tool.Idle does go up an down sometimes other than that the car runs fine.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
thanks for the reply.cruise control isn't working.You are talking greek to me.I'm guessing you're not talking about a obd II scan tool.Idle does go up an down sometimes other than that the car runs fine.
After the battery has been disconnected the servo motor that controls the idle speed and also does the cruise control function can forget it's settings. The alignment procedure teaches it the settings again. So if you have this problem the two symptoms will be unusual idle speed behavior and cruise control not working.

Setting it requires the VAG-COM type tool and not a standard OBDII tool.

I have seen that some cars can do this alignment without using a scan tool. The procedure is to turn the ignition key to the run position without starting the car. Leave the key in this position for 30 seconds and then turn it off. I tried this on my car and it seems to work! I heard a faint buzzing from the servo motor that lasted about 20 seconds, similar to what happens when using the VAG-COM tool. You could go ahead a try it and see if it works.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts