NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 4 months ago, I had my 99NB detailed, that included cleaning under the hood. Well, when I got the car back, my speedo didn't work at all! It took a good day or so for the wiring to dry out enough where it started working again, but now, I noticed that my cruise control stopped working! I have no CEL, but I'm sure there's a code or two stored about it.

Is there a fuse I should check for first, or do you think there is a problem with the CC module?

Anyone else experience this problem?

Thanks!

Nick

·
dub-tech.com
13 Posts
There is no CC module ona beetle, it is controlled by the ECM. 2 common causes of faulty CC on a beetle. The most popular of course is a bad brake light switch. (~85% of all CC failures). If you have a 4spd automatic trans, it's also possible that the speedo drive gear is cracked...but I wouldn't worry about that too much until you take a hard look at the brake light switch. Might even be covered under recall.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I 2nd that opinion.

My cruise quit working, but so did my brake lights at the same time. I went to the dealer for the part. Found out it was covered by recall. They wanted to schedule a time to put it in, but my wife needed the car that night so I couldn't wait. I ended up paying for it but it was only about 12 bucks. You can change it in the parking lot.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
veedubtek said:
There is no CC module ona beetle, it is controlled by the ECM. 2 common causes of faulty CC on a beetle. The most popular of course is a bad brake light switch. (~85% of all CC failures). If you have a 4spd automatic trans, it's also possible that the speedo drive gear is cracked...but I wouldn't worry about that too much until you take a hard look at the brake light switch. Might even be covered under recall.
Well, I'll check the brake light switch first, I know my brakes lights work, though I'm guessing there might be another connection to the ECU for the CC?

I don't think it's the speedo gear, since the speedo still works.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts