VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
ruffrider
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the backup light switch in my 98 which got the backups working but then the cruise stopped working. I read somewhere that the brake switch had a recall and could affect the cruise. Can I still get the recall from dealer? Any other input about what can cause this. The fuses are all good. Thanks in advance for replies.:)

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Hey, first; I would get the car scanned with a VW compatible scanner. Every time; I have had a electrical component failure; I have gotten a trouble code. Get a cheap scanner from amazon; like the vs450 or go all in, get the factory vw level scan tool VCDS from ross tech.

To look up your car; for "open" recalls, input your vin # here: Volkswagen Recall Services by Vehicle Identification Number
If nothing comes up; you might call your local VW dealers' service dept. and see what they can do. Sometimes; they will do a "silent" recall or a courtesy repair for you, for free.

I was having a problem with a intermittent issue with my cruise control; I got a code for intermittent "short to ground" and I used some electrical contact cleaner on the lever/switch. In my case; it fixed the problem; the levers also are know for failing internally. If yours is totally dead; I would suspect a component failure; backup light switch, cruise switch in the lever, etc. I also remember; a connection between my failed brake switch and my cruise not working, after the brake switch replacement... my cruise functionality, returned. Again, get the car scanned and go from there.

On your backup switch; where did you buy it and what brand was it? Some, aftermarket cheap electrical replacement parts; have given a lot of members on here, problems! Some, actually caused MORE problems; than what they were supposedly fixing. So, its best to go with OEM parts or just buy it from the dealer or online places that carry genuine vw parts. One thing that I do; is see if there is a oem brand marking on the part and then buy the part, from the same company and save money that way.

You can also; search the vw parts store; get the correct part number and then search online, for the best prices. Volkswagen National eStore

Bosch, typically; makes many of the electrical switches on our cars, you can look up part for them here: https://www.boschautoparts.com/

·
ruffrider
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, first; I would get the car scanned with a VW compatible scanner. Every time; I have had a electrical component failure; I have gotten a trouble code. Get a cheap scanner from amazon; like the vs450 or go all in, get the factory vw level scan tool VCDS from ross tech.

To look up your car; for "open" recalls, input your vin # here: Volkswagen Recall Services by Vehicle Identification Number
If nothing comes up; you might call your local VW dealers' service dept. and see what they can do. Sometimes; they will do a "silent" recall or a courtesy repair for you, for free.

I was having a problem with a intermittent issue with my cruise control; I got a code for intermittent "short to ground" and I used some electrical contact cleaner on the lever/switch. In my case; it fixed the problem; the levers also are know for failing internally. If yours is totally dead; I would suspect a component failure; backup light switch, cruise switch in the lever, etc. I also remember; a connection between my failed brake switch and my cruise not working, after the brake switch replacement... my cruise functionality, returned. Again, get the car scanned and go from there.

On your backup switch; where did you buy it and what brand was it? Some, aftermarket cheap electrical replacement parts; have given a lot of members on here, problems! Some, actually caused MORE problems; than what they were supposedly fixing. So, its best to go with OEM parts or just buy it from the dealer or online places that carry genuine vw parts. One thing that I do; is see if there is a oem brand marking on the part and then buy the part, from the same company and save money that way.

You can also; search the vw parts store; get the correct part number and then search online, for the best prices. Volkswagen National eStore

Bosch, typically; makes many of the electrical switches on our cars, you can look up part for them here: https://www.boschautoparts.com/
Thanks for the quick reply. I just checked my records and the brake switch was replaced on recall in 07. However, I was reading on the threads that even the replacements were sometimes defective. I'll take it to my mechanic for a scan. Thanks.
P.S I have a bluetooth cheap scanner that works for the basics but obviously doesn't read this type of problem.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Hey, the brake switch; was "revised" MANY times, because of failure problems. Call your VW dealer and see if they can do a recall for free, you never know.. worth a shot! :) What about the reverse lights switch; brand of the part? I would recommend; you purchase a cheap vw scanner, can eliminate the need to go to the mechanic and save yourself thousands, be able to do quick diy repairs! :) The vw specific trouble codes; can help us, help you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts