NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am amazed...Never in my years of putting stereo systems in and taking them out have I had such an easy time of it...(not the installation, that's happen this weekend), I'm talking about the process itself. I ordered my CD player on Tuesday night, and just received it NOW....when I open the box, not only did I get the receiver, but the radio removal tools to remove my OEM radio, direct hook up wiring harness specifically for the NB, an antenna booster...and DETAILED instructions for the New Beetle with diagrams using actual NB pics...(which I will be scannin into my system and then posting in the how to section)
it actuall shows you how to remove the door panels on the NB to install speakers too!!!

I'll let you know on Saturday how the install goes...from reading the manual, it sounds like a 10 minute job (yeah, we all know better then that)...cant wait!:D

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
3,403 Posts
i'm with you, bananarama...got introduced to crutchfield in the early 80s...and am still a satisfied repeat customer, even though i might get things a little cheaper elsewhere (PX, or the big box stores)...instructions, adapters, tools are a big plus, and the tech support people are great if you get in a jam. :)

my install took a little more than 10 minutes...just took me a while to account for space for the wiring/speaker and antenna booster adapters. ;)

good luck!

wcj

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
let me rephrase my beginning title....Crutchfield WAS the bomb....Either the previous owner (who had over $6K of audio equipment in this before I bought it) either boogered up the wiring, or Crutchfield sent me the wrong wiring harness adapter....I was hoping NOT to have to take the dash apart, but now I'm going to have to...the wiring on the brown plug has 2 positives??? something is definately wrong.....so, what was supposed to be a 30-40 minute install is going to take a few hours...while I move the pins around in the wiring harness to work for my car.....Doh!:confused:

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
3,403 Posts
i don't recall the wiring adapter setup, but mine was plug and play.

have you called the tech support folks? what did they say?

warren

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well, i will repeat my first post...Crutchfiled IS 'da bomb....lol I wired everything up and plugged it in, and WOW! Such clarity and the volume level at peak!!! I think I'm in for a few tickets with this system if I dont keep the bass and volume down! (was plug and play, just had to make some spare room for all the wiring from the crossovers...)

The receiver is a Pioneer DEH-1700 Cd player, and when I plugged it into the Audiobahn ABC525T component 5 1/4 subs and tweets with crossovers??? 'bout blew my outta the car!...Gonna have to be careful with this:D Of course I'm NOT going to show pics, as one Aftermarket in dash CD player looks about the same as the rest...just another thing to add to my mod list tho...:rolleyes: Very impressed...Crutchfield made me a repeat customer.....

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
3,403 Posts
glad to hear it worked out...my experience with crutchfield's tech advisors and customer service reps has been great over the years...

had the "installation from hell" putting in a headunit in my 92 Volvo 240 about 8 years ago...a major pain in the neck just getting to the preamp to disconnect a cable and bypass the :cuss: amp...would've been nice if i had another hand, and ten inch fingers to do that install :lol: headunit is still going strong.

on the NB, decided to buy a new headunit with CD player after my changer went bye-bye. all the specs suggested the Blaupunkt CD player (with drop down faceplate) would work...oops. it didn't. trim piece on the dash opening interfered with the drop down door, and couldn't use the CD player.

one call to crutchfield, and another headunit (with a pass-thru faceplate) was on its way the same day...i only had to ship the Blaupunkt back within a week or so for credit. even got a letter from Bill Crutchfield apologizing for my trouble.
:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah...my problem was getting the OEM out...the wire bundle was jammed in there and I couldn't get it unplugged right away, because all of the crossover wires were twisted in and around...when I finally did get it out, and the new harness wired up, I just plugged it in, and slid everything in and it was done.
Spent 1/2 hour playing with it until my wife came outside and yelled at me for waking her up from her nap! (something about the windows rattling...:rolleyes: )

Now if I just had the Money for the panel woofers for the trunk, I'd be set:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts