VW Beetle Forum banner
3,041 - 3,060 of 3,089 Posts
So, why don't you start a thread and we can start troubleshooting your car? I certainly; would try to work through external issues like the linkage and bushings; before pulling the transmission. What say you or are you just done with working on it yourself? :confused:

Discussion starter · #3,043 ·
Well, Billy, my good man, I'll be happy to walk through Cup's troubleshooting with you all.

After all these years, I think mm it's time to get a VAG-COM :D

I did feel as of I were done with working on Cup- especially after her dying on me. I needed some time to get my head back in the game. So, now I'm ready to, little by little, start working on Cup.

I guess I shouldn't go scorched earth and just replace sensors, all willie-nilly, but I'm good with that. Beside, the sensors are 16 years old, so a fresh start is best.

As far as the transmission, I'm good with taking Cup to WagenWerks and have them look at it. This will be a slow, step by step repair, doing each step as my budget permits.

Will keep you posted.

Yes, I would definitely say; it is time to get VCDS or at least a cheap VAG 401 from amazon. I'm surprised; you have been able to go this long without a VW specific scan tool, you will be needing it for you latest Beetle when the warranty goes out. It seems on the newer VW's; you can do allot more soft coding for optional settings, which would be fun to mess with as well. I had to get VCDS in 2007; when my warranty went out and my airbag light came on. I haven't regretted the investment one bit and it has saved me thousands in repair costs, it's capabilities, have literally kept my car on the road!

As for the transmission; based upon my own 02M disaster, external shifter linkage wear and need for adjustment, can cause shifting problems. As for the 5 speed 02J; I had issues with 1st/2nd on my 00' GLX 1.8T, which were syncro related and I also, have heard that bent clutch forks (which the throw out bearing clips to), has caused many to have shifting problems. The fix for that; seems to be replacement with a reinforced welded version: https://www.google.com/webhp?source...&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=02J+reinforced+clutch+fork

As always; we are all here to help, there maybe some learning curve to VCDS but it pays for itself by giving you control, of the repair process, coding things and learning to diagnose more advanced problems with live data. With two VW's; I would say, that a VW scan tool is a must and you will appreciate it, once you start using it. :D

Discussion starter · #3,045 ·
Big thanks Billy!
So a VCDS has the same features and capabilities as a laptop-installed VAG COM? What rig are you using?

And yep, I survived 16 years of owning Cup without one...crazy huh? Lots of trips to AutoZone, as well as a few VAG-friends around at the opportune time. :lol:

VCDS and VAGCOM; are the same thing, they just had to change the name under pressure from VW AG. :) I just use a windows 7 based laptop; you could buy a cheap tablet or old laptop that runs windows to use it with. The requirements are pretty low; so, most older computers you might have could work: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_1.php

I am also; using my iPhone/iPad with a ELM 327 wireless adapter; to be able to look at live data, when I am driving around and a obd II app like Dash Command or OBD Fusion.

Yeah it doesn't take much to run VCDS at all. Most any laptop will be able to do it no problem. I have it installed on my new laptop as well as on a netbook. The netbook is slow but it's easy to drag out to the bug. Oh and if you get one and can spare the extra coin, I would get the HEX-CAN so you can use it on Chino & Cup

I use HexCan VCDS on a small netbook running Windows7. I have used a bunch of other laptops but love the netbook for its lightweight and size while working on cars. I also have a extension usb cable for the dongle which makes jobs like "hammer mod" and "ip timing" a breeze.

Discussion starter · #3,050 ·
Yeah it doesn't take much to run VCDS at all. Most any laptop will be able to do it no problem. I have it installed on my new laptop as well as on a netbook. The netbook is slow but it's easy to drag out to the bug. Oh and if you get one and can spare the extra coin, I would get the HEX-CAN so you can use it on Chino & Cup
I use HexCan VCDS on a small netbook running Windows7. I have used a bunch of other laptops but love the netbook for its lightweight and size while working on cars. I also have a extension usb cable for the dongle which makes jobs like "hammer mod" and "ip timing" a breeze.
HEX CAN...check!

Thanks guys. Lots of good info to get me VAG ready!

In other news...

Cup is getting mighty close to getting the #1 spot on the most popular beetle threads- pretty cool :cool:

Discussion starter · #3,058 ·
I joined the org, many moons ago, to find out how to get Cup's stuck fuel door open. Some 12+ years later, ,Cup and I have traveled across the country, taken 1000's of pics and made life long friends. And now this...WOW!

Attachments

3,041 - 3,060 of 3,089 Posts