NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
haha so last night, after it rained, just for giggles I turned my traction control off and floored it (Don't worry.. on my paved private drive! I'm not an idiot in public, only in private hahaha) and my spoiler malfunction light came on! I didn't even get to 10 mph, so I'm kinda confused!
I give it some gas and I break something :rolleyes:

aaanyway, it went away after shutting the car off and back on, but I just wondering if anyone else has had this happen before.

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha yes. I thought it was kind of funny.

This is why I don't take my car to the drag strip by my house... because something will break. VW's have a curse there. My buddy's stage 2 mkV GTI broke a motor mount which ripped apart wires and connectors as well as snapping off part of his high pressure fuel pump. Truly a freak incident, that like never happens to anyone. He had to drive home in super limp mode. Another friend's bushing or linkage in his tranny on a mkIII snapped, causing him to go flying in reverse instead of going forward (it was HILARIOUS). they had to push it off the strip and fiddle with it to get it to go into 1st.. then later it busted a radiator hose.

My car would probably burst into flames or something like that. Not even gonna try it. :D

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
you did indeed just confuse your spoiler. when it gets real icy here I do the same thing and the light comes on. Its because your tires spin faster than 50 or 48 or whatever speed its supposed to come up at and then when they catch traction the speed shoots way back down. after this happens about twice it just gives up and stays either up or down.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
you did indeed just confuse your spoiler. when it gets real icy here I do the same thing and the light comes on. Its because your tires spin faster than 50 or 48 or whatever speed its supposed to come up at and then when they catch traction the speed shoots way back down. after this happens about twice it just gives up and stays either up or down.
She must've hit 93 mph without knowing it. :D since that's the speed on those old Beetles deploys.

·
Senior Member Sponsor
1,345 Posts
Agreed

Randi, must have been major wheel spin going on! Kinda like a bleach burn out with out the bleach.

Practicing your your launches for the strip?

You go girl!:)

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agreed

Randi, must have been major wheel spin going on! Kinda like a bleach burn out with out the bleach.

Practicing your your launches for the strip?

You go girl!:)
haha yeah!

One of the people above was correct, finally got around to checking my codes and saw this:

Address 54: Rear Spoiler Labels: 1C0-959-733.lbl
Part No: 1C0 959 733 B
Component: Heckspoiler 0002
VCID: 2A55FC0AD6ECEE485F1

1 Fault Found:
01683 - Wheel Speed Signals / Vehicle Speed
27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

And a bonus!

Address 01: Engine Labels: 06A-906-032-AWV.lbl
Part No: 06A 906 032 EM
Component: 1.8l 5VT NB AG4 G 3594
Coding: 00003
Shop #: WSC 02629
VCID: 6DDF371627823970FA3

2 Faults Found:
16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 - 35-00 -
16687 - Cylinder 3
P0303 - 35-00 - Misfire Detected
Readiness: 0000 0000

I was passing someone on the highway and happened to look down on decel, only to catch a glimpse of my CEL flashing then it went off. I wouldn't have even noticed if I didn't look down. I didn't feel a misfire or anything. Ah well.

It's been a few weeks since George has given me fits, so this is about right. :D

·
Keep It Real
1,746 Posts
if you are referring to that yellow Beetle light that comes on in the dash, it is not a "malfunction light", it is an indicator that tells you when the rear spoiler has deployed.

As far as the codes that you listed, I do not see anything there that specifically say that there was a spoiler issue.

It looks as thought there may have been maybe a ABS wheel sensor glitch causing a wheel speed code, as a result the spoiler activated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts