VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
20, I got a 2004 VW Beetle Convertible and was told the computer needed to be replaced or repaired. Here’s what I was actually told verbatim...” I parked it because I ran over a rock and cut the O2 sensor wire so I replaced it but when I did the ECU light came on”

My question: is it better to have mine repaired or to simply purchase a remanufactured one?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,272 Posts
Does the car run? Have you scanned for codes? It is true that cut O2 sensor wires can fry an ECU, but the CEL could have come on just because there was no signal from the O2 sensor. Need to scan for codes to see exactly what is going on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, I put the batter back in and crunk it up and it crank right on up....however, when I put it in park or neutral or tap the brake, it idles way too high!! And when I tap the gas pedal, it returns to normal. On Monday I am going to get it to the parts store to get the codes read. The EPC indicator is on. I was aware that I would need a new or remanufactured one.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,272 Posts
Since the car runs, I would say the ECU is probably ok. Usually if the O2 wires fry the ECU, the car won't start. Not to say that the broken wires didn't cause other electrical issues, or there isn't something else going on (there clearly is), but I would start looking elsewhere before the ECU right now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since the car runs, I would say the ECU is probably ok. Usually if the O2 wires fry the ECU, the car won't start. Not to say that the broken wires didn't cause other electrical issues, or there isn't something else going on (there clearly is), but I would start looking elsewhere before the ECU right now.
Yeah, I am gonna get codes when I come back Monday. It’s parked for the weekend! Not to mention I have a lot of cleaning to do on it Bc the person I bought it from let it sit up for 8 months.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts