NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does ANYONE know where I might source custom cast pistons for a mild overbore on a 1.8T engine? I do not want to go with forged because of thermal expansion issues and possible shorter engine life. I know this is a tall order and could be like looking for a needle in a haystack...but I gotta try.

I'm looking to bore x stroke out to about 2.0L.

Many thanks in advance.:)

·
Registered
111 Posts
look into using an ABA bottom end. It already has 2 liters displacement and is known to be a pretty strong engine. It even has those nifty oil squirters to cool the pistons. YOu'll still be stuck looking for pistons i think though since they won't have the proper valve reliefs for the 3rd intake valve. Really though, there's no reason to go to 2.0 liters if you aren't going to be shooting for big numbers, and if you're going for big numbers, cast pistons just aren't gonna cut it anyhow. Check the 1.8T forum on vortex, specifically fairly recent threads by Don R... i seem to remember him bringing up a freshly released piston design not too long ago and it may have been cast.

·
my turbo is bigger!!!!!!!
502 Posts
the 2.0 swap is a pita.... bc u gotta blocl 3 oil ports. u also gotta find one with a crank angle sencor... its waht im thinking abotu doing

·
502 Posts
no jsut getting it to work properly..... your going to halft to get it custom tuned and or standalone....

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys..I guess it's pretty much impossible to find someone who currently makes mildly overbored cast pistons to balance out a stroke job on the 1.8T. If someone isn't making them already..it's forget it! I've been told time and again that engine life will probably suffer with forged custom pistons. Warm-up etc. will in time cause premature wear to the rings..then things go downhill from there. 50 -60K miles max before it becomes a rolling smoke bomb!

I was just looking for more torque and a quicker spool...especially since I'm considering a still larger turbo (GT28RS). Don't want to lose drivability, that's all.

Thanks again!:D

·
Registered
111 Posts
50-60K is plenty of life, and really all you'd need to do is hone the block and re-ring. it takes a LOOONG time to get that kind of mileage... I mean i managed to put just under 20K miles on my car the first year I owned it and thats a lot compared to most normal people. But in all seriousness its not worth it boring and stroking the 1.8T unless you're shooting for some huge numbers. a 28rs will be more than quick spooling enough and make plenty of power for a street car.

·
502 Posts
umm just get forged...... get tehm thremal coated... and u need more torque on a gt28rs... just get head work done and get apr rod bolts and race wear head studs... make u rev over 7 grand.... bc if u get bigger displacement u will lower revs... thats y u dont see alot of hard core 1.8t owners go to 2.0 blocks... i wont matter for me bc imma run solid lifters and buckets... and ill be able to spool a gt35/40.... or if u want to try something else. 2.0 with a tdi 1.9 crank.. and 1.8t internals...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mr V-dubed: What internals are left when you have a TDI crank and a 2.0 block? Rods? 1.8T pistons won't work with cyl bore at 82.5mm. Forged slugs would be necesary. Ther coating Hmmm..I think I saw an article on Swain Tech coatings for piston heads and skirts.. I'll look into it more.:)

·
502 Posts
u can get 82.5.. ask!!!!!! they wont be cast... just wait for apr psitons to come out... their thermal coated.... forged is not going to hurt your car... we ran forged je in the honda and it lasted 100000 miles

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
APR is going to come out with thermal coated forged pistons? 82.5mm? Cool! Any idea when.. I'm also looking for their new motorsport intake mani..heard it should come to market soon as well!

·
502 Posts
yea apr is going to come out with pistons.. im guessing theill have 82.5 if not it will be 83.... and idk about that manni.. i just want the one bill has!!!!!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dubed! My buddies at NGP say that APR will come out with a complete 2.0 shortblock with the aforementioned pistons in spring. They'll give me details when available.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts