VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm working on a special project. I'm trying to make a custom shift knob for a 1998 Beetle. However, because the shift knob doesn't screw down like I'm used to, I'm finding it hard to create a way to secure it to the shift lever. Has anybody tackled a project like this? I'm willing to simply thread the rod with a die, but it's not optimum by any means. The knob will be made of aluminum and turned on a lathe down from a roughly 3" diameter by 6" long to whatever size fits best. I have most of a machine shop at my disposal. However, I can't do much test fitting in advance, as I'd like to make this a surprise for the owner of the car. How did you guys mount your knobs? (phrasing....)

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen these types, and they're the ones I wanted to do but they either end up coming loose or being a very precision job, which is expensive in either time or money. I'd consider it if I had time to trial fit this in advance and bore it out to precisely the correct diameter, but I don't have that luxury. I may yet go that route but only if absolutely necessary. I had hoped to find a truly novel way to mount it, but I may simply have to either thread the lever or go the tri-screw method.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts