VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I replace shocks and struts on our 05NB Convertible, I may have to replace the passenger side CV axle. The NB front end vibrates upon acceleration at 40 mph or so and when I took a peek while replacing the tires with new tires I saw that the axle boot was torn up. It was shaking before the tire replacement and now it's going in for an alignment. But I'm guessing the alignment won't get rid of the vibration under load.

So, I probably have a CV axle replacement in the future - not going to be fun from what I've read about the clip in axles.

Anyway, any recommendations, maybe on a reman axle and where to get one? Rock Auto has a bunch of axles - but they are all less than $200 it seems and I'm wary that they will fail early. All I see are new axles for about $400 or more at FCP, etc.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I just put this up a few days ago.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I just put this up a few days ago.

Thanks-not sure how I missed that! I may be in the same boat as billymade. It's hard to find more affordable options for either replacing or rebuilding axles for the 6 speed auto. It's the 6 speed Tiptronic trans with the HFZ transmission code, which I think means its 09G. I'll reach out to see if they have the axle kit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No luck on the CV joint kit so its the whole CV joint assembly from either Raxles for $330 or a new VW OEM CV joint assembly from ECS for $400. I'm tempted to go with Raxles for the lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The CV axle is really easy to replace on the HFZ transmission. The hardest part is the 30 or 32mm Axel nut. So get a big breaker bar with cheater pipe or a strong air impact to get it off. Then 3 nuts on the ball joint. Then using a flat pry bar, like they use in demolition....place it between the Axel and give it a good whack or two with a big hammer. It will pop right out.

This is the type of pry bar.
Crescent Flat Pry Bar , Red -FB13 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008NM6VKA/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_7X377HKCX97KCHRFG905

1 - 7 of 7 Posts