VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After finishing up the robotic surgery replacing the thermostat. By the TX. Billy for the electrical tape idea on the universal joint . I noticed that the passenger side inner CV Boot was a mess. probably from getting blasted from exhaust when the flexible joint broke. . I wondering if this is a pretty simple fix . I thought Id just un bolt the one end and drop the shaft on the one side . I got the replacement from rock auto the Beck/Arnley brand . It looks to be pretty good because it doesn't require the use of the bands to hold it in place . Any thing I need to know to stay out of trouble on this project ? TX. Mr.Bug has logged more time on the lift this month than his on tires ! He's got a road trip in 2 weeks .

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I just did one joint on mine and now; the other side is clicking, so I need to replace that cv joint. I would drive your car and see if the joint is clicking; if it is, it should be replaced (worn out) and not just regreased with a new boot. At that point; you could decide to replace the joint or the whole axle. The good quality joints/axles; are made by GKN, you can get good prices on joints on this website:

RM EUROPEAN:

https://www.google.com/search?q=rem...01j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=rm+european

It isn't that hard to do; you just need to be careful, to put everything back the way it was. I didn't remove the balls; as I didn't want to worry about their correct position. I throughly cleaned everything and regreased; put everything back together. It helps if you have a vise and you can clamp the whole axle down, it makes it easier to work with.

If you are going to fully disassemble the cage/balls/joint; I would definitely, use the marking techniques shown in the service manual.

Here is the service manual page for instructions:

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > New Beetle Turbo S L4-1.8L Turbo (AWP) (2002) > Transmission and Drivetrain > Drive Axles, Bearings and Joints > Axle Shaft Assembly > Constant Velocity Joint > Component Information > Testing and Inspection > Outer Cons

Here is a video; that walks you through the process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsytyVzokBg

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Need to be careful about replacement axles on these cars.

The passenger side inner CV/Tri-pot boot is ALWAYS the first to go, then the drivers side inner CV/Tri-pot boot is not far behind.

At least on my 2003 1.8t 6 Speed Tiptronic the actual axles have a sleeve almost doubling their size. Not sure exactly why? I guess to strengthen the axle shaft and possibly cause of from twisting or flexing??

If you have an automatic and need to get the drivers side or any tough axle out, you need to read my thread about the Drivers Side Axle From Hell!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TX.JOFJI , I seem to remember having some problems on the drivers side when I replaced the struts . I cant wait to read your write up !

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was reviewing the service procedure for the drivers side cv boot replacement in the Bentley manual , and it said that you need to press the inner CV joint off the shaft . Is that correct ? I was just going to remove the right side inner shaft from underneath the car and repair it there . TX.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Depends, that last one I did, with the shaft secured in a vise; I used a brass punch to get it off and back on. If it is really hard to get off; a press, could be used. In my case; a brass punch and a ball pein hammer, were good enough. Brass punches, are nice to use and made out of a soft metal; they won't damage the splines or other metal parts; you are hitting on. I think it easier to work on the axles with them removed from the car but do whatever works best for you.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I learned a few things about this job . 1) MY 2K beetle needs a 10mm Triple square not an 8mm. 2) You need to remove the axle out of the car to repair it . There is a frame obstruction that will not allow it to come down. Now I have a question since didn't have time to complete the job the right way for now . I duct taped the boot together and it is work surprisingly for now. I bought the Beck/Arnley part that was listed on rock auto P/N 1032992 but it doesn't appear to be the correct one even tho it is listed as 99 thru 06. I'm not sure if I have as Tripod or the regular CV joint , as I wasn't able to take it apart . The boot I have has a metal flange on it as opposed the straps on the joint end . Also I noted that the Bently shows versions both in the repair book. TX.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Get the GKN/Loebro cv boot kits; they are the oem for VW and are the best quality. As noted, RM European; has excellent prices on them. I used GKN when I replaced one on my axle; it was identical to the original boot and came with everything needed, to do the job. I think removing the axle and securing it in a vise; really helps, I used some wood to protect the axle from the metal vise jaws.

I wouldn't trust the duct tape band aide to last very long; the earlier you catch the split boot the better. Has it started clicking yet? Once ether grease flies out and it gets contaminated with dirt/debris, it is only a matter time before it self destructs. If it is heavily worn and clicking;!replacement of the bad cv's or whole axle swap, is your only option then.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im pretty sure i caught it right away, i dont expect the doct tape to last very long but the joint is still quiet. Any idea if i got the tri pod or regular style cv joint. Tx.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
From what I understand the out/wheel cv is regular and the inner/trans one is the tripod style. The outer replacement cv's kits seem to be easy to find in the GKN brand but the inner one's, may not be but they can be bought from your VW dealer (the whole cv; not just the boot kits). I just emailed GKN and asked them some questions; about availability of whole axles or the inner cv's, we will see what they have to say.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TX. I appears the inner boot I bought fits the regular cv joint. I have the tripod style. They must have used 2 versions on these cars . My car is a 2000, but was purchased in SEPT. 1999.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
You might contact GKN, AUTOHAUSARIZONA or RM European with your VIN #; to confirm, you are getting the correct boot kit. Be sure to include your VIN, engine and transmission code with your inquiry.

Boots - Passenger Cars - GKN Land Systems

http://www.gknservice.com/global/contact/information_request_customer_service.html

catalog: (look at page 1168):

http://gknservice.com/Catalogues/Driveline-Solutions-SPIDAN/HTML

Driveline-Solutions-SPIDAN

2000 Volkswagen Beetle GLS Hatchback 1.8L L4 | Differential, Driveline, and Axles | Page 1

1 - 14 of 14 Posts