VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Imbugd - 99 1.8t
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This ends in my question, you can skip to the end if you want. I like to give background though.

So I just got my own house with a garage. This is a massive upgrade from what Ive always had to do before, hiding on some street or culdesac trying to do some massive project under cover of darkness.

In addition to this my trusted mechanic of many years is no longer in business. It takes so long to find a good one, that does reasonable work for reasonable cost, that this is very frustrating.

Ive always done minor jobs on my own, but now because of the above Im tooling up to do much more if not all by myself. So I am now delving into parts areas that I haven't seen much of.

The car
2001 NB ALH TDI, manual 02j tranny.

The project
I was changing out a starter, something Ive done before... was.

When I got the starter out I found that the inner 'nose' had shattered. A few shards were still left on the starter, but at least 1/2 had disappeared into the area with the flywheel. :( This now explains the locked up engine I had just experienced whereby attempts to pushstart (to get home) had ended in nothing but rubber marks on the road.

I ended up manually turning the engine a tiny bit and then starting up the car which had mysteriously healed itself, minus the horrible noise that the starter had just made.

The new project
Remove the tranny, something I have NOT done before, in order to fish out the loose shards of metal from the starter. All other efforts some of which I read here had already failed with magnets, little grabbers, sticky stuff on the end of rods etc.

Of course this leads to taking just about the entire front half of the car apart. :(

On my way there Im refreshing he suspension with new control arms, strut mounts, sway bar bushings, etc. So now Im on the hunt for what parts are in need of replacement, some of which seem to have been missing for quite a while. It was used, and my mechanic had mentioned some interesting bits over time, and even replaced a few free for me.

Im using Bentley, Haines, and 2 different DIYs from here and Vortex to keep me on track for this renovation.

Here you can see the part on my same transmission code even. Its the 'gold' colored object in pic 02jdiy024.
http://newbeetle.org/forums/transmission-talk/52705-o2j-transmission-diy.html

The question
Part of removing the tranny is disconnecting the CVs. In one of the DIYs Im following the inner CV is covered by a gold colored end plate. It appears to keep the grease contained to the CV assembly and off the transmission flange. My car does not have this, on either side.

After much searching I believe 1j0407115h is the part number. Various diagrams show it as being present, Jim Ellis shows it as 'no replacement part', or not at all on other diagrams. Some diagrams don't show it at all. Some CV kits come with this plate, others do not.

Is this part necessary? Is it good to have? Does it keep the grease in as it seems, and thus would make working on it neater? Of course initial cleanup will be fairly terrible to get this in if I do.

Finally... after extensive searching I can only find scant information on this part, and only the very occasional picture. Is it the same part on both sides?

·
Imbugd - 99 1.8t
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm.. I dont think so.

In the few pics Ive seen its a gold colored metal piece with little wings that fold over the end of the CV. Then the whole thing gets put into the engine flange with the 6 hex bolts. It appears that it may just keep the grease out of the flange, but Im not certain.

This isn't the exact part for model year, but you can see an example here.
cv joint kit beetle | eBay

In this kit its the lower silver item in each group. Not all CV kits for my year come with it, but some do.

·
Imbugd - 99 1.8t
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well Ive partially answered my question. Ive got at least the what, but not the why.

According to the Haynes manual.. you can just discard the cover. It at least mentions it and shows it in diagrams. They regard it as 'extra'.

I don't know why though and that is a bit unsatisfactory. Anyone else put these in? Seems like it might keep the grease and any leaked tranny oil separate should that occur.

In the interest of complete threads, feel free to chime in with your own experience. It appears to be picking nits at this point, but Im ok with that.

·
Imbugd - 99 1.8t
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
more

its in the bentley manual too.. listed as 'always replace'
Of course thats one thing I hate about the Bentley, they'll say something like that and not give you the part number to do it with. At the same time they don't use the same terminology that VAG do in all cases.

So heres another case where the 2 manuals conflict.

..and yes I realize Im pretty much talking to myself here.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Those silver things are bands to clamp the CV boot down with. If you are just removing and reinstalling the CV axles you won't have a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Nope your're not talking to yourself. Just can't seem to find that "plate" piece as a separate part number.

It is the same for both sides.

If you want them you may have to buy a set of boots kits which include them and put them on your car.

·
Imbugd - 99 1.8t
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
talking to mysef

yay! was starting to feel a bit lonely. haha

Yeah.. The best I can tell from searching the various diagrams is that 8D0407375 is the part number. Though they all refuse to have a picture for it, even on russian sites. The number I had in the original post I think may be to a round version that goes to other models. It seems like its not the 'winged' versions that the NB uses.

When next I do my CVs I think ill revisit this issue and order that cover just to see if Im right. ECS has it for $9. For now though Ill just put everything back the way I found it and call it good. I've already far exceeded my ordering budget for this project.

Thanks for chiming in!

·
μολὼν λαβ
213 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts