VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just picked up a 2001 Cyber Green V5 Sport from the original owner, with full leather, sunroof, Continental tyres and a folder containing all services, work done, new parts, MOT's etc etc.

The condition is awesome for a 2001 car, and the noise it makes is superb.

Plans include uprate the headlight (bulbs only), ditch the flower (done already), and just generally enjoy it and keep it in good shape.

The air con needs a regass, will need 2 front tyres fairly soon, and the drivers side mirror doesn't work from the switch in the cabin.

Pics to follow tonight, can someone explain how to post them? Do I need to host them somewhere like photobook?

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Sounds nice! We have another V5 owner; that got the "sport edition" and he is in the UK. It sounds like a great motor; they never sold them, in the usa spec new beetles. Looking forward to pics or any videos of the sound of the engine or a "walk through" of your car! We never got them; so it would be cool, to see what yours is like! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Yeah, the "sport" model, was a unique car; which, seemed to be patterned after the USA spec "Turbo S" model (We got the 1.8T AWP with 180 HP and the 02M six speed transmission).
I am not familiar with all the different European based New Beetle models but I have seen on German websites, the V5 was available, for a number of years in the New Beetle in different trim levels and models. Aside, from the RSi; the V5 power plant, seems to have been one of the top performance powerplants, available at the time.
I don't understand VW's choices of combinations of power plants and transmissions; for each market but for here, the Turbo S, was the most powerful and capable New Beetle they sold. Later, the 2.5L 5 cylinder; was more similar to the V5 but didn't have the same power or as pleasing of a exhaust note. :) On the economy side of things; VW put Polo level powerplants in as well; which we never saw, in the 1.4L and 1.6L engines; which, I assume were strictly to address, gas milage concerns in Europe. I guess VW put quite a few power plants in the New Beetle; on what they saw, as fulfilling the needs of the market, they were selling to. The base level; economy engine here, was the 2.0L engine.

·
Registered
182 Posts

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Interesting, on the rear auto rear spoiler; I guess they figured the 1.8T and V5 needed it for the higher speeds? At least in the USA the Turbo S had a electronic governor @ 131 mph. I've gone over 100 for moment but I don't think 131 mph! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts