NewBeetle.org Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
My number one project is now to remove the center console arm rest. :banghead: Just getting a little bored of banging the back of arm on it when I shift and I have a solution.

Spent some quality time at the dealer parts counter :crazy: and the spot where the arm rest is mounted covers a storage bay. There is a rubber plate (#14) and cover plate (#13) that you can get. #14 is the bottom/floor and #13 is the lid.

13) Cover P/N 5C5-863-655-82V $36.40
14) Cover Mat P/N 5C5-863-328-B-82V $29.56

Now I will have to use erWin for the instructions to remove the arm rest, as I cannot find a Repair/Service Manual anywhere and as it turns out, my erWin account is still valid. I do have to purchase a current subscription.

Attachments

·
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Hit the 5000 (3100 Miles) Kilometer mark yesterday and it si time for Rooks first oil change. Perfect timing, just before TOD! :D

I will also take the time to see if the fog light wire harness is present, so I can put some fog lights in. :cool:

·
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
OK, so I got the oil changed and I had some awkward surprises along the way and those are ...

1) ... you do not have to remove the skid plate. :D
2) ... the oil pan drain plug is Torque T-45 bolt. :mad:
3) ... oil drain plug requires an aluminum crush gasket. :(
4) ... oil filter has only one obstruction for unfettered access. :)
5) ... have to remove the top engine cover to reach the oil filter. :(
6) ... oil filter can be removed without making a mess. :D
7) ... oil pour in port is the size of my finger and you have to use a funnel and a small one at that. :mad:
8) ... requires 5 quarts of oil, instead of 4. :(

Regarding the fog light project; I was not able to do what I wanted to do, because the inner wheel well liner has to come off in order to see the fog mounting location and I do not have time to do that. :(

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
Dude!
Your beetles have an affinity for deer...yikes!
Cool that it's not that serious.

And what is this on a fog light mod? I have no fogs and I've been thinking on fabing some round ones in the blank spot. Do tell, do tell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Affinity is putting it mildly :banghead: ...

Well there is a slight draw back to Black-on-Black; the front nose is actually cracked about 6 inches along the bottom where the top of the blinker meets the front nose. If you zoom into the picture you can see it. What you cannot see is the crack that goes up into the front nose. Even I did not see it until the body shop estimator pointed it out to me.

I am going to be taking the wheel well cover out and checking to see what other damage is lurking behind the scene; also if there is actually a wire harness connector for the fog lights. The dealer where I purchased Rook says yes and there is a fog light upgrade kit; I am skeptical.

Here is the retro fog light kit. It appears that the "Kit" is not complete, as the web site notes that "additional parts" are required.

So here is the Dealer Total Cost as of 06/06/2016 ...

Fog Lamp Retro Fit Kit ... $140.00 (5C1-052-186 contains wire harness and miscellaneous hardware - INCOMPLETE KIT IMHO)
Head Light Switch ... $132.60 (5C6-941-531-F-APW)
Left Grille Bezel ... $91.02 (5C5-853-666-D-9B9 13C0)
Right Grille Bezel ... $91.02 (5C5-853-665-D-9B9)
Left Fog Light Assy w/o Blub ... $219.15 (5C5-941-700-B 19G0)
Right Fog Light Assy w/o Blub ... $219.15 (5C5-941-699-B)
Mounting Screws (x6 @ 1.96) ... $11.76 (N-909-747-01)

Sub-Total Parts ... $878.02
TN Taxes (9.75%) ... $81.22
Shipping ... $ 0.00

Dealer Total Cost ... $959.24

I know that some of these parts can be acquired for a lot less, but I am wanting original VW parts so that my insurance will replace the loss, should that happen at a later date.

·
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
OK, here are the damage pics and I did an impromptu repair job; Duct/Gorilla tape is a wonderful thing :D ...

The blinker has one mount screw and that tab broke off, so I had to make one; also the blinker has two tabs on the opposite end which are inserted into a rear bracket from the front nose and it to is broken.

Attachments

·
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
The dealer never responded to my inquiry regarding the fog light kit.

So, yesterday after work I stopped by Lyk-Nu Collision to get a repair quote. So the estimate is $1,129.40, :crying: which does not include the fog light upgrade. Given my deductible, this all going to be out of pocket.

So, Lyk-Nu is going to give me a revised quote this upcoming week which includes installing the fog light kit.

·
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
I spent some quality time at the dealer aftwer work toady and it seems that this endeavor is proving to be more expensive than I expected see post #46.

I also called my insurance company to find out, that if I had future incident, would the insurance cover the loss of the fog lights; their answer was, "... we would take that under consideration." I then replied that I would like to know for a certainty; I was forwarded up the chain. Tier level two ... same response; forwarded up the chain again (Tier 3) and I am waiting on a call back.

I explained that the fog lights are the stock VW fog lights from the dealer and it is an upgrade that the OEM provides for the base models; did not seem to mean much, if anything to them. So if the fog lights are not going to be covered, I am not going to do it right now; it just is not worth the expense.

·
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Yes, you guessed it, no call back. :banghead: So, I am not going to do it at present; what I am planning to do, is buy the Harness Kit and get the remaining parts from salvage yards and once I have two complete sets, I will put it in.

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
Yes, you guessed it, no call back. :banghead: So, I am not going to do it at present; what I am planning to do, is buy the Harness Kit and get the remaining parts from salvage yards and once I have two complete sets, I will put it in.
That's my plan too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
Well during the last month I developed a shimmy in the steering wheel from 90kph and up; so to narrow down what it could be, I rotated the tires and the shimmy moved to the rear of the car.

A trip to the dealer was now required to re-balance the tires and seeing how I was there, I wanted to have the alignment checked as well. Turns out the rim is bent! :banghead: The dealer re-balanced the tires, but did not do the alignment, as they said it is not necessary; the shimmy now occurs between 40-80 kph.

I am sure that we all know that a bent rim is not covered under warranty unless you can prove that it was not bent from an external source. A new rim from the dealer here is $486.35, which does include tax. Given that amount, I am researching replacement rims and I want to keep the warranty intact, so I am looking for any suggestions that do not require any mods.

Here are the Rim Specifications ...
Part Number: 5C0-601-025-MAX-1
Size: 7J x 17 ET43
Tire: 215/55R17

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
I'm sure you can find a used wheel; get the part number and search online. There has to be some Beetle's that are wrecked out there with some good wheels on them. There are places online, that specialize in used wheels, then there is ebay, LKQ online and used parts search engines. If you can cross reference your vw part with hollander parts numbers; that can help as well. In the larger cities, there are wheel repair shops that fix damaged wheels and you might check prices, see if it is cost effective.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&hl=en-us&q=hollander+cross+reference+online&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiuhqfSlIPQAhWkKMAKHYxeBsQQ7xYIFygA&biw=375&bih=559

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&hl=en-us&biw=375&bih=559&ei=XDwWWJqNBYadgAbk0JjICg&q=lkq+parts+search&oq=lkq+parts+search&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.3..0j0i22i30k1.99229.105438.0.106118.17.17.0.8.8.0.964.5562.2-13j2j0j1j1.17.0....0...1.1.64.mobile-gws-serp..1.16.2242.3..41j0i131k1j0i67k1.Er1RSno3jeQ

http://car-part.com/mobile/index.htm

https://www.google.com/search?q=bent wheel repair&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari&dlnr=1&sei=fD0WWK3sJoyOgAa9uZCwCw#dlnr=1&scso=uid_WBY9hgAGSPIKwAHqEwzfdA_0:-6,uid_WBY9hgAGSPIKwAHqEwzfdA_0:-1,uid_WBY9hgAGSPIKwAHqEwzfdA_0:0

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
Thanks for the research links ... it has begun. I did check VW parts dot com and the same rim is only $402.86 and the dealer here will match that price.

On a separate note, I finally got around to removing the Center Console Arm Rest; which was easier than I though.

Step 1: In front of the arm rest, pull up the little, half moon shaped rubber mat, using the rubber tab and remove the screw that is underneath.

Step 2: From the back of the arm rest, pull the base rear cover plate off. The prying point is where the cover plate and arm rest hinge meet.

Step 3: Remove the upper bracket bolt and pull the arm rest straight up.

Step 4: Remove the lower bracket bolt and the two console black screws, then pull out the lower bracket.

Step 5: Put the black console screws back in, as they hold the rear part of the center console down.

The highlighted (yellow) parts noted in this post are the new bottom pieces. For those that like super-sized drinks, you now have a place to put them. Here is the part numbers and cost from German Auto Parts dot com ...

13) Cover P/N 5C5-863-655-82V $34.58 (this is the false floor)
14) Cover Mat P/N 5C5-863-328-B-82V $28.08 (this is the rubber mat that covers the false floor)

Attachments

·
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I revisited my fog light upgrade, and checked with German Auto Parts; here is their price list ...

Retro Fit Harness 5C1-052-186 $133.00
Headlight Switch 5C6-941-531-F-APW $124.62
Lower Right Bumper Grille 5C5-853-666-D-9B9 $79.16
Lower Left Bumper Grille 5C5-853-665-D-9B9 $79.16
Right Fog Light Assy 5C5-941-700-B $208.19
Left Fog Light Assy 5C5-941-699-B $208.19
Screw N-909-747-01 $0.52

Total $835.44 ... Does not include any shipping or taxes

I am seriously considering using my XMas bonus.

·
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Rook is in the shop for the first time, to get the A/C issue diagnosed. I think the place I chose is a bit pricy, but for the last 15+ years I did 90% of my own work; I am not as spry as I used to be and have to rely on others more. I also found out that the previous mechanic that I used for my previous Beetles closed up shop forcing me to choose another.

So after some research I chose German Performance Options. The only thing that I do not like is this; if I provide the parts then there is no warranty for the work they do. They were straight up about it; "... we make money on parts." I checked the parts cost on German Auto Parts dot com already, so I know what the parts costs are for the compressor and the drier ...

1K0 820 859 S - Denso Compressor $330.24
1K0 298 403 A - Drier $14.82

... so I am waiting to see what their parts price quote is.

On a non-Beetle note: The wife's (Fiat 500L) engine light came on after arriving at the shop! :banghead: DANG!

·
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Well, it seems that Rook's A/C works; I never liked taking my car to the shop for an issue, only to find out that the issue might of been me instead. They did service the A/C; drain and reload the system.

I did have them do some other maintenance work that I have been neglecting ...

1) Change out the air and cabin filters
2) Change the spark plugs
3) Change the gear oil
4) Brake fluid flush and reload

I also have a leaky timing cover and I asked them not to do it, as I will when I get back from the Dragon.

And this weekend I will be dealing with that low air pressure tire.

The wife's engine code is a P0299; reset the light and I have more work to look forward to after TOD.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts