NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was a terrible accident. Brought back memories of the first Indy 500 I saw live in 1964. Sadly, two drivers, Eddie Sachs and Dave MacDonald were killed in a fiery crash on the 2nd lap of that race. They have made amazing advancements in safety but it is still a dangerous sport. Very sad day.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
I was working on our new place so we didn't have TV but my parents called to see what happened and who was involved...they had video but no sound on their station for the race. I pulled the video up on hubby's phone and found a thread on Fark.com about it and it certainly didn't sound good. I was waiting for my parents to call and tell me he passed :( I was able to watch some video after I got home last night. Watched the 5-lap tribute. I was touched, but I got really upset when they panned to the pit crews and all who were crying. And when I saw video of Dario in the car just losing it.

Such a sad day for IRL and the whole racing world. My parents and I met Dan a number of years ago at a Richmond race and he was such a good, nice guy. So sad. RIP Dan

·
Everett Street in May
3,204 Posts
Sad day folks. Racing has become so "safe" this past decade that we sometimes forget the real risks involved.

For us long term F1 fans, this horrific event used to be part of the sport. No seat belts or fire-suits for the drivers who sat inside little rockets that could go 200+ mph did not provide any forgiveness to even the slightest mistake.

Racing has come quantum leaps since then, but it still hasn't erased all risks.

Sad day indeed. :(

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
I would think IRL would look into racing so many of their cars on such a tight track for so many cars, such as it was in Vegas. Looking at the beginning of the race, you kinda knew there was gonna be a significant crash, but nothing of that traqic magnitude.

Yes IRL is worlds safer than it's early years. However, I think the scenario of that race was set up (not intentionally) for an incident.

·
Everett Street in May
3,204 Posts
I would think IRL would look into racing so many of their cars on such a tight track for so many cars, such as it was in Vegas. Looking at the beginning of the race, you kinda knew there was gonna be a significant crash, but nothing of that traqic magnitude.

Yes IRL is worlds safer than it's early years. However, I think the scenario of that race was set up (not intentionally) for an incident.
Yep bumpin and scraping are all good in NASCAR and Grand Am series but does not turn out well with open wheel series.

Peace be with Dan Wheldon's family.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
Yep bumpin and scraping are all good in NASCAR and Grand Am series but does not turn out well with open wheel series.

Peace be with Dan Wheldon's family.
True Rob.

Jimmie Johnson, who suffered a horrific crash the previous night in NASCAR's Sprint Cup race at the Charlotte Speedway, commented on the very same thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts